Help with diagnosing faulty PS3 HDMI

• Thread starter ushir
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a lightning-damaged satellite decoder, TV, and PS3. The PS3 still works with AV connection, but not with HDMI. Testing with a multimeter shows that some pins on the HDMI port are still receiving power, leading to the possibility of a deeper issue, such as a faulty HDCP Silicon Image chip. The poster is seeking advice on how to diagnose and potentially repair the problem.
ushir
Hey guys,

This is going to be a bit of a lengty post as I would like to describe the entire problem.

To begin, my satelite dish was struck by lightning, sending a surge through my satelite decoder, then into my tv, then to my ps3 via HDMI which has blown something on the ps3 related to HDMI.

The PS3 still works via AV - but when hooking it up to HDMI it just displays a blank screen. However, when connected via AV and attaching an HDMI cable as well, a message pops up saying that an HDMI cable has been detected and if I would like to switch. When clicking yes, i am met with a blank screen. So it appears some portion of the HDMI port is still working.

I have tested the port with a multimeter and found that either PIN4&5 or Pin 15&16 read 5V (Im not sure which pins they are because I am not sure what perspective the HDMI diagram is drawn from - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI). Every other pin reads 0V DC.

I compared this to a new fully functioning PS3 and got the exact same results. This leads me to believe that the HDMI port itself it working but that the problem is deeper - perhaps the HDCP Silicon Image chip?

How do I go about diagnosing the problem? I would like to know if there if a dry joint / solder somewhere which is easily repairable - that way I can save my old ps3.

Thanks guys!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lightning damage is almost impossible to predict. Inside lightning damaged equipment, nearly anything could be bad, from connections, to chip internals.

If you are skilled at soldering, you can re-heat every soldered joint. If there is a hidden crack, that might fix it.

1. What are the common signs of a faulty PS3 HDMI port?

The most common signs of a faulty PS3 HDMI port include no video or audio output, flickering or distorted video, and intermittent connectivity issues.

2. What could be causing the HDMI port on my PS3 to fail?

There are a few potential causes for a faulty PS3 HDMI port, such as a damaged HDMI cable, a loose connection, or internal hardware failure.

3. How can I troubleshoot my PS3 HDMI port?

To troubleshoot a faulty PS3 HDMI port, try using a different HDMI cable or connecting to a different TV. You can also try resetting your PS3's display settings or performing a system update.

4. Is it possible to fix a faulty PS3 HDMI port?

In some cases, a faulty PS3 HDMI port can be fixed by replacing the HDMI port or repairing any damaged internal components. However, it may be more cost-effective to simply purchase a new PS3.

5. How can I prevent my PS3 HDMI port from becoming faulty in the future?

To prevent issues with your PS3 HDMI port, make sure to use high-quality HDMI cables, avoid forcefully inserting or removing the cable, and keep the HDMI port clean and free of dust or debris.