Gulf spill, bioengineered life, and oil-eating bacteria

In summary, there have been discussions about using oil-eating bacteria to clean up the BP oil spill. These bacteria have been praised for their potential to clean up oil spills, and the current situation in the Gulf provides a chance to put them to the test. However, there are concerns about their effectiveness and potential negative effects on the ocean's oxygen levels. Some argue that naturally occurring bacteria in the ocean may already be helping with the cleanup, while others suggest a balanced approach is needed, including methods such as oil-water separation and reclamation. There have also been suggestions to use bacteria attached to a substrate to help collect and break down the oil. But ultimately, the use of bacteria may contribute to the depletion of oxygen in the ocean, causing harm
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Are there plans to treat the BP oil spill with oil-eating bacteria?

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2010/04/can-microbes-save-the-gulf-beach.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I am interested to know about this as well. Oil eating bacteria (and other micro organisms) have been touted for decades as an amazing innovation. If there was ever a chance to prove their utility, the BP oil spill is one. I wonder why no one is talking about them?

It seems natural bacteria are more effective than GMOs.

http://www.smartertechnology.com/c/a/Global-Challenges/Can-Biotech-Help-Clean-the-BP-Oil-Spill/

Wouldn't this be akin to setting the stuff on fire, anyway? The oil-eating bacteria would almost certainly oxidize the hydrocarbons into CO2, in which case you might as well, you know, burn it.

TubbaBlubba said:
Wouldn't this be akin to setting the stuff on fire, anyway? The oil-eating bacteria would almost certainly oxidize the hydrocarbons into CO2, in which case you might as well, you know, burn it.
Not all hydrocarbons are created equal. When burned, petroleum in particular produces large amounts of soot, aka black smoke, and anything burned at high temperature in the atmosphere produces nitrogen oxides. Bacteria does none of the above.

[PLAIN]http://www.treehugger.com/burning-oil-rig-explosion-fire-photo11.jpg

Yes, but it is that CO2 and the oxidizing process that... wait for it... causes hypoxic regions in oceans. In fact, naturally occurring bacteria in the ocean may help the cleanup, while killing large regions much as they might render a human host dead. There needs to be a balanced approach, not just a cosmetic one.

nismaratwork said:
Yes, but it is that CO2 and the oxidizing process that... wait for it... causes hypoxic regions in oceans. In fact, naturally occurring bacteria in the ocean may help the cleanup, while killing large regions much as they might render a human host dead. There needs to be a balanced approach, not just a cosmetic one.
I take your point. Given the scale of O2 in the ocean, does it really stand to be depleted by bacteria at scale consuming the oil leaked (and not already captured or removed) over the surface of the Gulf of Mexico? Also I'm not sure if I'd call the products of the combustion of all that oil a cosmetic effect.

mheslep said:
I take your point. Given the scale of O2 in the ocean, does it really stand to be depleted by bacteria at scale consuming the oil leaked (and not already captured or removed) over the surface of the Gulf of Mexico? Also I'm not sure if I'd call the products of the combustion of all that oil a cosmetic effect.

Oh, no not the whole gulf, that seems kind of mad. Hypoxic regions where high concentrations of oil exist, sure. I was referring to the use of bacteria as cosmetic by the way, not burning. Burning has a place, but a limited one. Frankly, there is no substitute for oil-water separation and reclamation. The issue of hypoxia at depths of 3000 feet and more however, could be very real without the addition of any bacteria not already present. This isn't going to kill the world of course, but bacteria munching on O2 has an effect, and how much of a reduction in concentrations does it take to kill some species? I really don't know offhand, but maybe I should research that.

I think the concentrations near coastlines and at depths are a bigger issue than the total amount, given that those bacteria exist because plenty of oil already leaks naturally.

mheslep said:

I'm not an expert in the area, but it seems reasonable to worry about oil-eating bacteria creating hypoxic zones in the ocean. Nitrogen and phosphorus runoff from the Mississippi delta is enough to create a hypoxic zone at the Mississippi delta (http://serc.carleton.edu/microbelife/topics/deadzone/)

Ygggdrasil said:
I'm not an expert in the area, but it seems reasonable to worry about oil-eating bacteria creating hypoxic zones in the ocean. Nitrogen and phosphorus runoff from the Mississippi delta is enough to create a hypoxic zone at the Mississippi delta (http://serc.carleton.edu/microbelife/topics/deadzone/)
No doubt, but I wonder if the size of this petroleum spill coming from one pipe compares in size with the forever ongoing effluent of the Mississippi river?

mheslep said:
No doubt, but I wonder if the size of this petroleum spill coming from one pipe compares in size with the forever ongoing effluent of the Mississippi river?

I'll do some research on this tomorrow, but I need to sleep now. I think this is a very good question, and comparing the effects of nitrogen and phosphorus runoff with petroleum is going to be comparing strawberries and raspberries... both drupes, both similar, but different enough to require separate treatments in cooking.

How about oil eating bacteria that are attached to a substrate that absorbs output of metabolic reactions? Substrate would also serve to "bind" oil into floating jelly that can be more easily collected.

socean said:
How about oil eating bacteria that are attached to a substrate that absorbs output of metabolic reactions? Substrate would also serve to "bind" oil into floating jelly that can be more easily collected.

I think there is a product that was demonstrated; processed peat infused with bacteria. The peat absorbs the oil immediately, and the bacteria take their time and break it down, but again, you have O2 in, and CO2 out.. same problem. There are also questions about how well any of these will work given the massive use of dispersants.

1. What is the Gulf spill?

The Gulf spill, also known as the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, was a large-scale environmental disaster that occurred in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010. It was caused by an explosion on an offshore drilling rig, resulting in the release of millions of barrels of oil into the ocean.

2. What is bioengineered life?

Bioengineered life refers to organisms that have been genetically modified or engineered by scientists for a specific purpose, such as producing a desired trait or performing a particular function. In the context of the Gulf spill, bioengineered life refers to bacteria that have been genetically modified to consume oil and aid in the cleanup of the spill.

3. How do oil-eating bacteria work?

Oil-eating bacteria, also known as hydrocarbon-degrading bacteria, have the ability to break down and consume oil as a food source. These bacteria have enzymes that can break down the chemical compounds in oil, converting them into less harmful substances. This helps to naturally clean up oil spills in the environment.

4. Are oil-eating bacteria safe for the environment?

Oil-eating bacteria are generally considered safe for the environment. They occur naturally in the ocean and have been found to help clean up oil spills without causing harm to other organisms. However, introducing large amounts of bioengineered bacteria into the environment may have unforeseen consequences, so caution should be taken when using them for oil spill cleanup.

5. Can oil-eating bacteria completely clean up an oil spill?

No, oil-eating bacteria alone cannot completely clean up an oil spill. They can help to break down and reduce the amount of oil in the environment, but other methods such as mechanical cleanup and chemical dispersants are also needed. Additionally, the effectiveness of oil-eating bacteria can be affected by environmental conditions such as temperature and nutrient availability.