Phosphorus - flame temperature

• Thread starter SkepticJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, the speaker is seeking information about the temperature that burning phosphorus (red and white) reaches, as they are unable to find the answer online. They speculate that it may not be as high as magnesium, but still several thousand degrees based on the brightness and color of the flame. They ask if a chemist with access to the equipment and element would be able to measure the flame temperature for them. The speaker expresses their curiosity and mentions that there is no well-defined "flame temperature" as it depends on the circumstances.
SkepticJ
I've researched online and can't find the temperature that burning phosphorus (red and white) reaches.
Judging by the brightness and color of the flame from pictures, I'm guessing it can't be as high as that of magnesium, but it still looks like several thousand degrees.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Bump.

Bump

If there's a chemist who has access to the equipment and the element, if you have some free time to do so, would you please measure the flame temperature for me? I would be most grateful.

I'm quite curious about this, and haven't been able to find the answer anywhere.

There really isn't such a thing as a well-defined "flame temperature". The temperature a flame reaches depends entirely on the circumstances.

Charcoal in a barbecue does not have the same temperature as charcoal in a blast furnace.

Thank you for your question. I can provide some information on the flame temperature of burning phosphorus. The exact temperature of a burning phosphorus flame can vary depending on several factors, such as the type of phosphorus (red or white) and the conditions in which it is burning. However, according to various sources, the flame temperature of burning phosphorus can range from 1,200°C to 2,000°C (2,192°F to 3,632°F). This is significantly lower than the flame temperature of magnesium, which can reach up to 2,800°C (5,072°F).

One reason for the lower temperature of a phosphorus flame compared to magnesium could be the difference in the chemical composition of the two elements. Phosphorus is less reactive than magnesium, which means it requires less energy to ignite and sustain its flame. Additionally, the presence of impurities in the phosphorus can also affect the flame temperature.

It is also worth noting that the temperature of the flame does not necessarily reflect the overall heat energy released during the burning process. Phosphorus has a higher heat of combustion compared to magnesium, meaning it releases more heat energy per unit mass. Therefore, even though the flame temperature may be lower, the overall heat energy released by burning phosphorus may still be substantial.

I hope this information helps to answer your question. It is always important to consider multiple sources and factors when researching scientific topics, as the exact values and information may vary.

1. What is the flame temperature of phosphorus?

The flame temperature of phosphorus is approximately 1,200-1,400 degrees Celsius.

2. How does the flame temperature of phosphorus compare to other elements?

The flame temperature of phosphorus is relatively low compared to other elements, such as carbon (3,500 degrees Celsius) and hydrogen (2,000 degrees Celsius).

3. What causes the high flame temperature of phosphorus?

The high flame temperature of phosphorus is due to its high heat of combustion, which is the energy released when it undergoes a chemical reaction with oxygen.

4. Can the flame temperature of phosphorus be controlled?

Yes, the flame temperature of phosphorus can be controlled by adjusting the amount of oxygen present in the combustion reaction. A higher oxygen concentration will result in a higher flame temperature.

5. What are the practical applications of phosphorus flame temperature?

The high flame temperature of phosphorus is utilized in various industrial processes, such as in the production of fertilizers and in the creation of phosphorus-based compounds used in agriculture and industry.