Why this equation can't solve

• Thread starter jacky_pcs
  • Start date
I want to solve x = A-1b.In summary, the conversation revolves around solving the equation x = A-1b using matrix inverse method. However, it is pointed out that the matrix A may not have an inverse as it is not a square matrix. This leads to a discussion about using the least squares method to find a solution. The mention of Roger Penrose's work on non-square matrix inverses is brought up, but it is clarified that he worked on them before his work on relativity.
jacky_pcs
I would like to solve equation with x=a-1*b but when I inverse matrix A . It is bad solution to solve (I use mathematica to solve it)(Attach matrix A in excel file).
I want to know why matrix A is bad solution when I inverse??
If I want to solve this equation. How i can do?

Attachments

• Matrix A.xls
    29.5 KB · Views: 287
  • Matrix B.xls
    18 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is your matrix a square? If not - no inverse. (Although being square is not itself sufficient for an inverse to exist.)

-I use Pseudo method but answer is bad solution
x=(aT*a)-1*B

Okay, for which item are you trying to solve.

your equation was
[tex]
x = a - 1b
[/tex]

That has nothing to do at all with your "solution" - your result doesn't follow from the equation.

Roger Penrose worked on the inverses on non-square matries before relativity.

statdad said:
Okay, for which item are you trying to solve.

your equation was
[tex]
x = a - 1b
[/tex]

That has nothing to do at all with your "solution" - your result doesn't follow from the equation.

I believe the OP meant x = A-1b.

Then he/she revised the above to this: x=(aT*a)-1*B,
which I believe means this: x = (ATA)-1b.

Mark44 said:
I believe the OP meant x = A-1b.

Then he/she revised the above to this: x=(aT*a)-1*B,
which I believe means this: x = (ATA)-1b.

Aha - good catch. Of course, this means that the original equation is nowhere to be seen, so it remains impossible to see why this approach fails.

Need to pay attention to dimension. The matrix A has 35 rows and 20 columns (i.e. 35 x 20) and B has 35 rows (i.e. 35 x 1). ATA is a 20 x 20 matrix and so is (ATA)-1. Multiplying a 35 x 1 matrix by a 20 x 20 matrix isn't valid.

This smells like a least squares problem, which means the solution would be x = (ATA)-1 ATb.

hunt_mat said:
Roger Penrose worked on the inverses on non-square matries before relativity.
What in the world do you mean by this? Roger Penrose wasn't born until 26 years after relativity was developed! Do you mean he worked on them before they were used in relativity?

HallsofIvy said:
What in the world do you mean by this? Roger Penrose wasn't born until 26 years after relativity was developed! Do you mean he worked on them before they were used in relativity?

Penrose worked those inverses before he worked on relativity

1. Why can't this equation solve for all values?

Equations are mathematical representations of relationships between variables. Some equations are only applicable for certain values or conditions. This means that the equation may not have a solution for all values or situations.

2. How do I know if an equation is solvable or not?

There are various methods to determine the solvability of an equation, such as graphing, substitution, or using mathematical rules. It is important to carefully analyze the given equation and its variables to determine its solvability.

3. Can I change the variables in the equation to make it solvable?

In some cases, changing the variables in an equation can make it solvable. However, this may not always be possible or practical. It is important to understand the underlying principles and conditions of the equation before attempting to change the variables.

4. Why does this equation have multiple solutions?

Some equations can have multiple solutions, meaning there is more than one value that satisfies the equation. This can occur when there are multiple variables or when the equation is not fully specified. It is important to carefully check the given equation and its conditions to understand why it has multiple solutions.

5. Is there a way to simplify this equation to make it solvable?

In some cases, equations can be simplified using mathematical rules or techniques to make them easier to solve. However, not all equations can be simplified, and it is important to understand the underlying principles and conditions of the equation before attempting to simplify it.