Finding the Intersection Of 2 Equations (difficult)

• Thread starter themadhatter1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intersection
The solution is y= 0.390616...Then x= -0.390616...Using this iterative process, you can get y to any degree of accuracy.In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the equation e^{2x}=3x^2 and different methods to solve it. One method involves using the Lambert W function, which is explained in detail. Another method is using series expansion, which allows for the solution to be computed to any degree of accuracy. Additionally, the conversation mentions using an iterative process to solve the equation and obtain the solution to any degree of accuracy.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

Solve the following equation:

[tex]e^{2x}=3x^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find an approximate solution with a graphing calculator easily, but I am interested how you would find the exact solution.

I can take the natural log of both sides and wind up with.

[tex]2x=\ln{3x^2}[/tex]

I'm not sure how I could proceed from here to get it into terms of x.

Would perhaps another method be better?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no analytic solution to this problem. You can solve it in terms of the lambert W function though.

The lambert W function is as follows:
if [tex]a=ue^u[/tex] then [tex]u=W(a)[/tex] where u is some function of x and a is a constant.

[tex]3x^2=e^{2x}[/tex]

[tex]3x^2e^{-2x}=1[/tex] divided through by e2x

[tex]xe^{-x}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex] divided through by 3 then square root of both sides

[tex]-xe^{-x}=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex] negative of both sides.

So now we have it in the lambert W form and thus the solution is

[tex]-x=W\left(\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]x=-W\left(\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}}\right)[/tex]

But again, we can't express the solution in terms of elementary functions so you will only get a good approximation at best for the solution.

Mentallic, I'm not sure why you would say using the Lambert W function (which you did very nicely, by the way) would not be an "analytic" solution. Surely, it is as analytic as, say, using the function ln(x) to solve [itex]e^x= 2[/itex].

Ahh I think I've mixed up the meaning of analytic with 'expressible in terms of elementary functions', my mistake :biggrin:
Thanks!

Mentallic said:
There is no analytic solution to this problem. You can solve it in terms of the lambert W function though.

The lambert W function is as follows:
if [tex]a=ue^u[/tex] then [tex]u=W(a)[/tex] where u is some function of x and a is a constant.

[tex]3x^2=e^{2x}[/tex]

[tex]3x^2e^{-2x}=1[/tex] divided through by e2x

[tex]xe^{-x}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex] divided through by 3 then square root of both sides

[tex]-xe^{-x}=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex] negative of both sides.

So now we have it in the lambert W form and thus the solution is

[tex]-x=W\left(\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]x=-W\left(\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}}\right)[/tex]

But again, we can't express the solution in terms of elementary functions so you will only get a good approximation at best for the solution.

hmm. Interesting.

I'll bet If you wanted to take this even further you could use the series expansion for the lambert w function.

[tex]w(x)=\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{(-1)^{n-1}n^{n-2}x^{n}}{(n-1)!}[/tex]

[tex]-w(\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}})=-\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{(-1)^{n-1}n^{n-2}(\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}})^{n}}{(n-1)!}[/tex]

Otherwise a computer would be required to calculate that inverse function. This would allow you to compute the solution to any degree of accuracy. Right?

themadhatter1 said:
hmm. Interesting.

I'll bet If you wanted to take this even further you could use the series expansion for the lambert w function.

[tex]w(x)=\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{(-1)^{n-1}n^{n-2}x^{n}}{(n-1)!}[/tex]

[tex]-w(\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}})=-\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{(-1)^{n-1}n^{n-2}(\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}})^{n}}{(n-1)!}[/tex]

Otherwise a computer would be required to calculate that inverse function. This would allow you to compute the solution to any degree of accuracy. Right?

I really need to learn about series expansions, they seem to exist in numerous forms for every possible function!

You could even simplify the summation,

[tex](-1)^{n-1}\left(\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}}\right)^n=(-1)^{n-1}(-1)^n.3^{-n/2}=(-1)^{2n-1}.3^{-n/2}=-3^{-n/2}[/tex]

therefore the sum is:

[tex]
-W\left(\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}}\right)=\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{n^{n-2}}{3^{n/2}(n-1)!}
[/tex]

And yes, you can solve it to any degree of accuracy you wish :smile:

x can be obtained to any degree of accuracy also with an iterative process

[tex]x_{i+1}=-\sqrt{\frac{e^{2x_i}}{3}}[/tex]

I got -0.3906...
ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
x can be obtained to any degree of accuracy also with an iterative process

[tex]x_{i+1}=-\sqrt{\frac{e{^{2x_i}}{3} }[/tex]

I got -0.3906...
ehild

It is better to say that the solution of the equation is negative real number [itex]x = -y, \; y > 0[/itex] and the iteration should be:

[tex]
y_{i + 1} = \frac{e^{-y_{i}}}{\sqrt{3}}
[/tex]

1. What is the purpose of finding the intersection of two equations?

The intersection of two equations refers to the point at which the two lines representing the equations intersect on a graph. This point represents the solution to the system of equations and can be used to solve real-world problems involving multiple variables.

2. How do you find the intersection of two equations?

To find the intersection of two equations, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the other, or graphing the equations and finding the point where the two lines intersect.

3. Why is finding the intersection of two equations considered difficult?

Finding the intersection of two equations can be difficult because it involves solving multiple equations simultaneously and requires a good understanding of algebraic concepts. It also requires a lot of practice and patience to accurately solve the equations and find the correct solution.

4. What are some tips for successfully finding the intersection of two equations?

Some tips for successfully finding the intersection of two equations include carefully analyzing the equations and identifying the most efficient method to solve them, checking your work for errors, and practicing regularly to improve your algebraic skills.

5. How is finding the intersection of two equations useful in real life?

Finding the intersection of two equations is useful in real life because it allows us to solve problems involving multiple variables and find the optimal solution. This can be applied in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics to analyze and solve complex systems.