Finding time to take a trip to Proxima Centauri

• Thread starter Raziel2701
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the time it would take for a one-way trip from Earth to Proxima Centauri is approximately 4.1 years, assuming the spacecraft starts from rest, accelerates halfway at 1 g, flips around, and decelerates at 1 g for the rest of the trip. This does not take relativistic effects into account, and the expected answer of 5.8 years may involve a proper relativistic calculation. However, since this is an introductory physics class and only basic kinematic equations are being covered, it is unlikely that relativistic effects are to be considered.
Raziel2701

Homework Statement

find the time it would take for a one-way trip from Earth to Proxima Centauri (4.10E13 km) . Assume that the spacecraft starts from rest, travels along a straight line, accelerates halfway at 1 g, flips around, and decelerates at 1 g for the rest of the trip.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta x = \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I converted the distance to meters(4.10E16m) divided by two (2.05E16m) and plugged that into the equation above, as well as 9.8m/s/s for the acceleration and solved for time. Obtaining 2.05 years. So that corresponds to the first half of the trip. I then multiplied that time by two to obtain the full trip and got 4.1 years.

The answer is supposed to be 5.8 years. No relativistic effects are taken in consideration, this is an intro level physics class and I can't get the right answer when it seems to me that I'm doing the correct steps. What am I not seeing?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using your method, I got the same answer as you did. Are you sure you are supposed to do it non-relativistically? 5.8 years is about the right answer for a proper relativistic calculation?

I highly doubt we are to take relativistic effects into account. Even so, I don't know how to use the time dilation equation since the ship is not traveling at a constant velocity but a constant acceleration.

We are barely scratching the breadth of the kinematic equations in class, special relativity is not covered.

Any other ideas?

1. How long would it take to travel to Proxima Centauri?

The travel time to Proxima Centauri would depend on the method of transportation used. Currently, the fastest spacecraft would take approximately 18,000 years to reach Proxima Centauri. However, with advancements in technology, future spacecraft may be able to shorten this travel time.

2. Is it possible for humans to take a trip to Proxima Centauri?

At the moment, it is not possible for humans to take a trip to Proxima Centauri. The distance is too great and the technology is not advanced enough to support such a journey. However, there are ongoing research and development efforts to make interstellar travel a possibility in the future.

3. What challenges would be faced during a trip to Proxima Centauri?

The biggest challenge for a trip to Proxima Centauri would be the immense distance and the time it would take to reach it. To sustain human life during such a long journey, advanced technology would be needed for life support, energy, and protection from radiation. Additionally, the psychological effects of being in space for such a long time would also need to be addressed.

4. How much would it cost to take a trip to Proxima Centauri?

The cost of a trip to Proxima Centauri would also depend on the method of transportation used. Currently, the cost of building and launching a spacecraft capable of reaching Proxima Centauri would be astronomical. However, with advancements in technology, the cost may decrease in the future.

5. What would be the benefits of taking a trip to Proxima Centauri?

Taking a trip to Proxima Centauri would allow for the exploration of a new solar system and potentially the discovery of new planets and life forms. It would also advance our understanding of space and potentially lead to new technological developments. However, the main benefit would be fulfilling our innate curiosity and desire to explore the unknown.