How to Write the Result of a Squared Summation Notation After Multiplication?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to write the result of a given equation in summation notation and finding a pattern in the results for different values of n. The equation given is already in summation notation and the conversation explores different ways to represent it.
LordCalculus
How would I write the result of this in summation notation after multiplying it out?

([tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{n}_{i=1}[/tex] x[tex]_{i}[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean:

[tex]\left(\sum_{i=1}^n x^i \right)^2[/tex]

It already is in summation notation!

(or, are you trying to come up with a summation equal to this, in which the result is not squared?)

in the form of:

[tex]\sum_{i=a}^b f(x,i)[/tex]

Last edited:
For n=1, you have [itex](x^1)^2 = x^2[/tex]

For n=2, you get [itex] (x^1 + x^2)^2 = x^2 + 2x^3 + x^4[/tex]

For n=3, you get [itex]x^2 + 2x^3 + 3x^4 + 2x^5 + x^6[/tex]

For n=4, you get [itex]x^2 + 2x^3 + 3x^4 + 4x^5 + 3x^6 + 2x^7 + x^8[/tex]

Notice any pattern?

Are you're looking for the summation notation for this series, given n?

The result of this in summation notation after multiplying it out would be represented as:

\sum^{n}_{i=1} x_{i}^{2} + \sum^{n}_{i=1} \sum^{n}_{j=1} x_{i}x_{j}

What is summation notation?

Summation notation is a mathematical shorthand used to represent the sum of a sequence of numbers. It is often denoted by the Greek letter sigma (Σ) and includes an expression or formula, a variable of summation, and the upper and lower limits of the summation.

How do you read summation notation?

Summation notation is read as "the sum of" or "the summation of." The variable of summation is usually defined as a letter or symbol, and the range of values that it takes on is specified by the upper and lower limits of the summation.

What are the uses of summation notation?

Summation notation is commonly used in mathematics and statistics to represent the total of a series of numbers or the result of a mathematical operation. It is also used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to represent the cumulative effect of a repeated process or to simplify complex equations.

What is the difference between summation notation and sigma notation?

Summation notation and sigma notation are two terms used interchangeably to represent the same mathematical shorthand. Both refer to the use of the Greek letter sigma (Σ) to denote a summation, and they are both used in the same way.

How do you evaluate summation notation?

To evaluate summation notation, the expression or formula inside the summation is evaluated for each value of the variable of summation, and the results are added together. This is typically done by starting with the lower limit and incrementing the variable by 1 until the upper limit is reached.