Isoelectronic Ions problem

• Thread starter k-rod AP 2010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ions
In summary, P3-, S2-, Mn7+, Sc3+, and Ti4+ are isoelctronic ions with the noble gas configuration of Ar. Mn is expected to have the smallest radius due to its high number of protons. When ranked from smallest to largest, the order is Mn, Ti, Sc, S, P. The ions have a noble gas configuration of [Ar].
k-rod AP 2010

Homework Statement

P3-, S2-, Mn7+ , Sc3+, and Ti4+ are isoelctronic ions. 1)Write the ground state noble gas configuration for each of these ions. 2)Which one of them would you expect to thave the smalles radius? 3)Rank then from smallest to largest.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I am not sure what to answer here, i know that in ionic form they all have the noble gas configuration of Ar, but what is the question asking for exactly? Is it asking for the configuration of these elements in neutral atom form?

2) Mn should have the smallest radius b/c it has the largest number of protons of the group and would pull the electrons in closer right?

3) In order they should be Mn, Ti, Sc, S, P, correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess they want just [Ar] for each one. And looks to me like you are right.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok that's what i figured, but the wording was strange so i wanted to see if u guys could see something i didnt. thanks though

1. What are isoelectronic ions?

Isoelectronic ions are ions that have the same number of electrons, resulting in the same electronic configuration. This means that they have the same number of valence electrons and similar chemical properties.

2. What is the significance of isoelectronic ions?

Isoelectronic ions are important because they can have similar chemical behaviors and can form similar types of chemical bonds. This makes it easier to predict their reactivity and reactions with other substances.

3. How are isoelectronic ions different from isoelectronic elements?

Isoelectronic ions have different numbers of protons and neutrons compared to isoelectronic elements. Isoelectronic elements have the same number of electrons, but they also have the same number of protons and neutrons in their nucleus.

4. Can isoelectronic ions have different charges?

Yes, isoelectronic ions can have different charges. For example, an oxygen ion (O2-) and a sulfur ion (S2-) are both isoelectronic with 10 electrons, but they have different charges due to the different number of protons in their nucleus.

5. How do you determine if two ions are isoelectronic?

To determine if two ions are isoelectronic, you need to compare their electronic configurations. If they have the same number of electrons and the same configuration, then they are isoelectronic. You can also use a periodic table to identify isoelectronic ions with the same number of valence electrons.