Need help solving equations in mechanics class?

• Thread starter chubsmalone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unknowns
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with solving two equations with two unknowns in a mechanics/statics class. The equations involve constants, sine and cosine functions, and the student is struggling to find a solution. Other participants in the conversation provide helpful tips and equations to guide the student in solving the equations.
chubsmalone
I'm in a mechanics\statics class and have run across a couple of problems that I cannot, for the life of me, remember how to solve. The problems end up solving for two unknowns with two equations and one of the equations has
Constant = Constant Sin(theta) + another constant Cos(theta)
and the other equation has sin(theta) and some other unknown.

My statics teacher will help me set up the engineering parts of the problem, but refuses to help me with the math. I should know how to do this, but I can't find it in any of my notes. I appreciate any help anyone can provide for this.
Thanks,
Josh

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Don't both equations have to have both unknowns in them to solve them using a realation?

Could you write out the actual 2 equations u have and the 2 unknowns?

A = B * sin(theta) + C * cos(theta)

you can find the value of `theta' from this equation. the idea is to represent the right-hand side as sin(theta + alpha), where alpha depends on B and C.

-- Adil

Allright,
I was mixed up here when I asked for help. I only have 1 equation, but I still can't solve it. The Eq is -180 = 217.5*cos(theta) + 101.9*sin(theta). I don't know how to solve for theta in this type of equation. I see sadrul's post below, but I'm not sure how to apply it. Thanks again for the help.
--Josh

To know how to solve an equation of the form

[tex]A\cos\theta + B\sin\theta = C[/tex]

you must know two identities in trigonometry, namely

[tex]\sin(A+B) = \sin A\cos B + \cos A\sin B[/tex]
[tex]\cos(A+B) = \cos A\cos B - \sin A\sin B[/tex]

Additionally, you should know that both sine and cosine functions oscillate between -1 and +1. They can of course, assume the values -1 and +1. With a bit of work, you can show that

[tex]A\cos\theta + B\sin\theta = \sqrt{A^2 + B^2}\sin\((\theta + \delta)[/tex]

where [tex]\delta = \sin^{-1}\frac{A}{\sqrt{A^2 + B^2}}[/tex]

Let's leave this an exercise for you so that you are at home with these equations (which will frequently arise in physics, engineering and trigonometry).

From the above description, it should be clear that the equation will have a solution if and only if

[tex]-\sqrt{A^2 + B^2} \leq C \leq +\sqrt{A^2 + B^2}[/tex]

When you rearrange the final equation to solve for theta, you will most likely (except in mathematics where a general solution is required normally) attempt to find the principal value of the argument. That will be easy as you can simply find the inverse function using either a calculator or tables.

Hope that helps...

Cheers
Vivek

What is the concept of "Two equations, two unknowns"?

"Two equations, two unknowns" is a mathematical concept that involves using two equations to solve for two unknown variables. It is commonly used to find the values of two variables in a system of linear equations.

How do you solve a system of two equations with two unknowns?

To solve a system of two equations with two unknowns, you can use different methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one of the variables and then solving for the remaining variable. The resulting value can then be substituted into either of the original equations to find the value of the other variable.

What is the importance of solving a system of two equations with two unknowns?

Solving a system of two equations with two unknowns is important in many real-life situations. It is used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to model and solve problems involving two variables. It is also a fundamental concept in algebra and can help build problem-solving skills.

What are some common mistakes when solving a system of two equations with two unknowns?

One common mistake when solving a system of two equations with two unknowns is not properly setting up the equations. It is important to ensure that both equations are in the same form (e.g. both in standard form or slope-intercept form) and that the variables are aligned. Another mistake is not correctly manipulating the equations to eliminate a variable, which can result in incorrect solutions.

What are some real-world applications of "Two equations, two unknowns"?

"Two equations, two unknowns" has many applications in the real world. It is used in engineering to solve problems involving two variables, such as finding the optimal dimensions for a structure. In economics, it can be used to model supply and demand to determine equilibrium prices. It is also used in physics to solve problems involving motion and forces.