Raining Flue Gas: How to Avoid Problems with Water Dripping Down

• Thread starter peet_dk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the amount of water dripping down from a smokestack's flue gas depends on factors such as temperature, humidity, wind speed, and chemical composition. The Mollier h-x diagram can be used to calculate the amount of water, but a general "rule of thumb" is to consider the dew point temperature as a reference. Wind speed can also help prevent dripping, but caution must be taken to avoid blowing water droplets onto surfaces. Consulting a professional is recommended for more accurate assessments.
peet_dk
Hello

I have some flue gas coming from a smokestack into the air. The flue gas contains a lot of water, and when it goes into the sky on a cold winter morning, the relative humidity will rise to 100%, and then there will be a problem with water dripping down.

But… When the dripping water is not at problem, if the wind speed is high enough, because the water then will be scattered out.

By using the Mollier h-x diagram I know the kg. water per hour that will drip down.

But does anyone know a “rule of thumb” or something like that, to get a picture of when it will be a problem, and when area that the water will dripping down at will be large enough, so it isn’t a problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting question. I can provide some insights on this topic. First of all, the amount of water dripping down from the flue gas will depend on several factors such as the temperature and humidity of the surrounding air, wind speed, and the chemical composition of the flue gas itself.

To determine when it will be a problem, you can use the Mollier h-x diagram to calculate the amount of water that will drip down at different temperatures and humidity levels. However, as you mentioned, a "rule of thumb" can also be helpful in getting a general idea. In this case, I suggest considering the dew point temperature as a reference. The dew point temperature is the temperature at which the air is saturated with water vapor, and any further decrease in temperature will result in condensation. If the temperature of the surrounding air is close to or below the dew point temperature, it is more likely that water will drip down from the flue gas.

In terms of wind speed, you are correct that it can help scatter the water droplets and prevent them from dripping down. However, it is important to note that the wind speed should be strong enough to break up the water droplets, but not too strong that it blows the droplets onto nearby surfaces.

I hope this information helps in understanding when the dripping water will be a problem and when it will not. It is always best to consult a professional for a more accurate assessment, as the specific conditions of the smokestack and surrounding environment can also play a role. Thank you for your question and happy researching!

1. What is Raining Flue Gas?

Raining Flue Gas is a phenomenon that occurs when flue gas, which is a byproduct of combustion, cools down and forms droplets that fall back down through the exhaust stack. These droplets can cause problems if they are not properly managed.

2. What are the potential problems caused by Raining Flue Gas?

The most common problem caused by Raining Flue Gas is water dripping down through the exhaust stack. This can lead to corrosion, blockages, and damage to equipment. It can also affect the efficiency of the combustion process.

3. How can Raining Flue Gas be prevented?

Raining Flue Gas can be prevented by properly designing and installing the exhaust system. This includes using insulation, proper drainage, and ensuring the exhaust stack is the correct size for the amount of flue gas being produced. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help prevent Raining Flue Gas.

4. What should I do if I notice Raining Flue Gas in my exhaust system?

If you notice Raining Flue Gas in your exhaust system, it is important to address the issue as soon as possible. This may involve adjusting the design of the exhaust system, adding insulation or drainage, or hiring a professional to clean and maintain the system.

5. Are there any health or safety concerns related to Raining Flue Gas?

Raining Flue Gas can potentially cause health and safety concerns if it is not properly managed. The water droplets can contain corrosive substances and pollutants, which can be harmful if they come into contact with skin or are inhaled. It is important to take precautions and regularly maintain the exhaust system to prevent these risks.