Work done by Friction on an Inclined Plane

In summary, a luggage handler pulls a 17.1 kg suitcase up a ramp with a force of 146 N at an angle of 24.0 degrees. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.257 and the suitcase travels 3.90 m along the ramp. The work done on the suitcase by the friction force is -168 J.
fajoler

Homework Statement

A luggage handler pulls a suitcase of mass 17.1 kg up a ramp inclined at an angle 24.0 above the horizontal by a force of magnitude 146 N that acts parallel to the ramp. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ramp and the incline is 0.257. The suitcase travels a distance 3.90 m along the ramp.

What is the work done on the suitcase by the friction force?

Homework Equations

W = F o r = |F|*|r|*cos(theta)
Friction Force = uN

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I calculated that the Friction Force should equal umg since the direction of movement is along the incline rather than in the x direction. So Friction Force = 43.06806 N. If we multiply it by the change in distance, the Work done by friction should be -168 J, but this doesn't seem to be the correct answer. Anyone know where I may have screwed up?

Physics news on Phys.org
well force of friction is not [tex]\mu mg[/tex] . set up a free body diagram first.

Oh wow... I'm sorry that was a stupid move on my part. For some reason I forgot that the normal force depends on gravity AND the direction of the gravitational force... Thanks so much I appreciate it!

What is the definition of "Work done by Friction on an Inclined Plane"?

The work done by friction on an inclined plane is the amount of energy that is dissipated or lost as a result of the force of friction acting on an object as it moves along an inclined surface.

How is the work done by friction calculated on an inclined plane?

The work done by friction on an inclined plane can be calculated by multiplying the force of friction by the distance over which it acts. This is represented by the equation W = f x d, where W is the work done, f is the force of friction, and d is the distance.

What factors affect the work done by friction on an inclined plane?

The work done by friction on an inclined plane is affected by several factors, including the force of friction, the angle of the inclined plane, the weight of the object, and the surface properties of both the object and the inclined plane.

How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the work done by friction?

The work done by friction on an inclined plane is directly proportional to the angle of the plane. This means that as the angle increases, the work done by friction also increases.

What are some real-life applications of work done by friction on an inclined plane?

The concept of work done by friction on an inclined plane is commonly used in everyday situations, such as when a car is driving up a hill or when a person is walking up a ramp. It is also important in engineering and construction, as it helps determine the amount of force needed to move objects on inclined surfaces.