What is the Solution to the Equation 2x = x^2?

• Thread starter I Like Pi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the equation 2x = x2, with suggestions including the use of logs and fractional exponents. It is concluded that there are three solutions in the set of real numbers, with x = 2 being one of them and the other two being more complex. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using the Lambert W Function and gives an approximate solution of x \approx -0.7666646959621232.
I Like Pi

Homework Statement

solve 2x = x2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no clue

Physics news on Phys.org
x = 2

tommowg said:
x = 2

how do you solve it algebraically tho

Try using logs.

p21bass said:
Try using logs.

i get xlogx = 2log2

No - that's wrong. You seem to have divided where you should have multiplied.

tommowg said:
x = 2

But that is not the only answer.

I'm not sure you can solve this with simple algebra though. Using fractional exponents or logs may make it easier to look at with x's on one side, but not necessary solvable.

I agree with Apphysicist. There is no simple way to solve for x analytically in this equation.

Last edited:
There are 3 solutions in the set of real numbers:

x = 2 is surely a solution;

The other two are in the intervals:

x > e and

-1 < x < 0

Your teacher / book probably just wants you to give 2 as an answer. Other answers would be in terms of something like the Lambert W Function, which is something you wouldn't even know exists until you've had a few more years of math.

Last edited:
m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%32^x%20%3d%20x%c2%b2&x=0&y=0

x = 2
x = 4

Another approximate solution is:

[tex]
x \approx -0.7666646959621232
[/tex]

1. What is a "very hard x-solving problem"?

A "very hard x-solving problem" is a complex and challenging problem that requires advanced problem-solving skills and techniques to be solved. This type of problem often involves multiple steps and requires a deep understanding of the subject matter.

2. How do you approach a "very hard x-solving problem"?

When facing a "very hard x-solving problem", it is important to first break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, you can use different problem-solving strategies such as trial and error, brainstorming, or using algorithms to find a solution.

3. What skills are needed to solve a "very hard x-solving problem"?

To solve a "very hard x-solving problem", you need a combination of critical thinking, analytical skills, and a deep understanding of the subject matter. It also helps to have a creative approach and the ability to think outside the box.

4. How much time does it take to solve a "very hard x-solving problem"?

The time it takes to solve a "very hard x-solving problem" varies depending on the complexity of the problem and the individual's problem-solving skills. It can take anywhere from a few hours to several days or even weeks.

5. Can anyone solve a "very hard x-solving problem"?

While anyone can attempt to solve a "very hard x-solving problem", it requires a certain level of expertise and knowledge in the subject area. It also takes perseverance, patience, and determination to overcome the challenges that come with solving a difficult problem.