Complex Powerfunction: Exploring Properties & Logical Explanations

• Thread starter giokara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, taking the power of a complex variable can result in multiple answers for non-integer powers, as the value is not uniquely defined. This is due to the fact that complex powers are not conventionally defined and can result in different values depending on the chosen convention. The branch cut used in the definition of a power (z^a = exp(a*log(z))) can also contribute to this property.
giokara
Hi

I just got an introduction in complex analysis and some things are still not so clear. What troubles me the most is a property of taking the power of a complex variable. We have seen that:
[tex](z^a)^b = z^{ab} e^{2ki\pi b}[/tex]
I can prove that formula but I can't understand it. Does this mean that when we take b = 1/a,
[tex](z^a)^{\frac{1}{a}} \neq z[/tex]
in the general case?
If that is true (which I assume), is there a logical explanation for it? I see it comes from the branch cut that is inserted to use the definition of a power (z^a = exp(a*log(z))) but I can't see why exactly this results in this strange property for a complex powerfunction..

Thx!

Physics news on Phys.org
giokara said:
Hi

I just got an introduction in complex analysis and some things are still not so clear. What troubles me the most is a property of taking the power of a complex variable. We have seen that:
[tex](z^a)^b = z^{ab} e^{2ki\pi b}[/tex]
I can prove that formula but I can't understand it. Does this mean that when we take b = 1/a,
[tex](z^a)^{\frac{1}{a}} \neq z[/tex]
in the general case?
If that is true (which I assume), is there a logical explanation for it? I see it comes from the branch cut that is inserted to use the definition of a power (z^a = exp(a*log(z))) but I can't see why exactly this results in this strange property for a complex powerfunction..

Thx!
It's not all that mysterious, even in the reals. Take z = -1, a = 2. What do you get?

The main thing you need to remember about complex powers is that z^a is not uniquely defined for non-integer a. Again this is not all that mysterious. In the reals we define x^(1/2) to be the positive square root, but that is only a convention which serves to make the identities work out nicely. Sometimes the negative square root is the "right answer". For the complex numbers, no convention works-- so you have to learn to live with multiple answers for the square root and other non-integer powers.

Last edited:

1. What is a complex powerfunction?

A complex powerfunction is a mathematical function that involves complex numbers as both the base and exponent. It can be written in the form zw where z is a complex number and w is also a complex number.

2. What are some properties of complex powerfunctions?

Complex powerfunctions have many properties, including the ability to raise a complex number to any complex power, the ability to produce multiple solutions, and the ability to have both real and imaginary components.

3. How are complex powerfunctions different from regular powerfunctions?

The main difference between complex powerfunctions and regular powerfunctions is that complex powerfunctions involve complex numbers as both the base and exponent, while regular powerfunctions only involve real numbers.

4. How can complex powerfunctions be used in real life?

Complex powerfunctions have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model complex systems, calculate electrical circuits, and analyze financial data.

5. What is the logical explanation for the behavior of complex powerfunctions?

The behavior of complex powerfunctions can be explained through the use of Euler's formula, which relates complex numbers to trigonometric functions. This allows for a better understanding of how complex powerfunctions behave and why they produce multiple solutions.