Learning Resources - Semiconductor Physics

In summary, the individual has been watching Leonard Susskind's lectures on quantum mechanics and particle physics on YouTube for the past 3 months and is now interested in furthering their education in semiconductor physics. They have a background in electrical engineering and nanotechnology and are looking for recommendations for learning materials on this topic. Some suggestions are Britney Spears' Guide to Semiconductor Physics and an online adaptive learning tool for semiconductors. They also express interest in learning more and ask for updates on the website with more information.
pseudophonist
Over the past 3 months I've been watching Leonard Susskind's lectures (Stanford) on quantum mechanics and particle physics from YouTube. This has been an enjoyable experience and I would like to further my own education.

My interest is in semiconductor physics particularly modelling using the quantum mechanics I've just learned. My background is electrical engineering and nanotechnology

Can anyone suggest any learning materials for this topic or even something I should learn first? I have been looking around YouTube and iTunesU for courses but a recommendation would really help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

This might help:

http://ecee.colorado.edu/~bart/book/book/contents.htm

You can just take our online adaptive learning tool for semiconductors - though I fear this might be a fair bit below your level. You get to semiconductors by selecting the detailed section you are interested in here: https://courses.toktol.com/guest/index/Physics (under Modern physics/Lasers and semiconductors/Semiconconductors). You'll learn by answering questions (91 of them) that will be adjusted your ability. Questions you got wrong will be repeated several times until you are confident.

Again, might be a bit on the too easy side for you but I'd love to get your comments on this though (which you can leave via contact us).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for making the effort to go over this, Personally i think strongly about this and love learning more about this subject. If at all possible, while you gain expertise, can you mind upgrading your site with increased information? It's very useful for me personally.
https://twitter.com/ScieduPress
http://www.sciedupressblog.com

1. What is Semiconductor Physics?

Semiconductor physics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of semiconductors, which are materials that have electrical conductivity between that of a conductor and an insulator. These materials are used in electronic devices such as transistors, diodes, and solar cells.

2. Why is Semiconductor Physics important?

Semiconductor physics is important because it is the foundation for modern electronics. The understanding of how semiconductors work has led to the development of many electronic devices that are essential in our daily lives, such as computers, smartphones, and televisions.

3. What are the key principles of Semiconductor Physics?

The key principles of Semiconductor Physics include energy band theory, carrier concentrations, and semiconductor devices. Energy band theory explains the behavior of electrons in a solid material, while carrier concentrations refer to the number of charge carriers (electrons or holes) present in a material. Semiconductor devices, such as transistors, use these principles to control the flow of electricity.

4. How is Semiconductor Physics used in technology?

Semiconductor Physics is used in technology in a variety of ways. As mentioned before, it is the basis for electronic devices such as transistors, diodes, and integrated circuits. It is also used in optoelectronics, which involves the use of semiconductors in light-emitting devices and lasers. Additionally, Semiconductor Physics is crucial in the development of renewable energy sources such as solar cells.

5. What are some of the current challenges in Semiconductor Physics?

Some of the current challenges in Semiconductor Physics include the miniaturization of electronic devices, the search for new materials with better performance, and the development of more efficient and sustainable manufacturing processes. Another challenge is the continued improvement of semiconductor devices to keep up with the increasing demand for faster and more powerful technology.