Objects collapsing to black holes

In summary, black holes have an infinitely strong pull at their singularity and can generate endless energy. There are two ways to discuss the density of a black hole, either mathematically as a point particle or pragmatically by considering its event horizon. The latter approach yields a finite density that can be made arbitrarily small by increasing the mass of the hole. It is not necessary for a black hole to have infinite density in order to have an event horizon.
snackster17
Im going to keep this very concise, mainly because i vaguely understand what I am discussing but anyways, as most informed people are aware black holes have an infinitely strong pull at their singularity and can even inhibit light.
I am curious as towards the actual phenomena or reasons how an object with finite density could generate endless energy. Does it just contract until it makes a fold in spacetime?

To expatiate on that, what is the circumference or the pinnacle distance of gravitational effects emitted from the black hole if any. input would be very appreciated

Astronomy news on Phys.org
snackster17 said:
I am curious as towards the actual phenomena or reasons how an object with finite density could generate endless energy. Does it just contract until it makes a fold in spacetime?

To speak of the density of a black hole is to invite confusion. Really, there are two routes one can go for discussing the density of such an object.

1. The mathematical route. As I described in a recent thread, a black hole is really a solution to Einstein's equations with a delta-function mass distribution -- that is, a point particle. Since points occupy zero volume, their density is infinite. This is perhaps the more correct of the two approaches, but it gives us very little information so most of the time we opt for the second result:

2. The pragmatic. A black hole is defined best by a single length scale: the size of its event horizon. I'm sure you know about event horizons, but it bears repeating that there is nothing pathological or physical about the horizon itself -- it is a mathematical boundary in spacetime. So usually when we talk about density we divide the total mass of the hole by the volume enclosed by the event horizon, thus yielding a finite number. And indeed, this density can actually be made arbitrarily small by increasing the mass of the hole!

As far as the endless energy part, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. What makes you say a black hole is capable of supplying an infinite amount of energy? Certainly, a finite amount of energy goes into creating the object!

Singularities are mathematical artifacts, IMO. Infinite density is not required to generate an event horizon.

thanks

I would like to clarify a few points about black holes and their formation. First, black holes do not have an infinitely strong pull at their singularity. The singularity is a point of infinite density, but the gravitational pull is not infinite. It is only at the event horizon, the point of no return, that the gravitational pull becomes strong enough to prevent even light from escaping.

Regarding the generation of endless energy, it is not the object itself that generates this energy, but rather the extreme gravitational forces at play near the black hole. As matter falls into a black hole, it gets compressed and heated to incredibly high temperatures, releasing a tremendous amount of energy.

As for the circumference or the distance of gravitational effects emitted from a black hole, it is important to note that the gravitational pull of a black hole extends infinitely, but it becomes weaker the further away you are from the black hole. This is described by the inverse square law, which states that the strength of gravity decreases with the square of the distance. So while the pull of a black hole can be felt at great distances, it becomes significantly weaker the further away you are.

In terms of the actual formation of a black hole, it is a complex process that involves the collapse of a massive star. When a star runs out of fuel, it can no longer support its own weight and collapses under its own gravity. This collapse can continue until the star reaches a point of infinite density, creating a black hole.

I hope this clarifies some of your questions about black holes and their formation. As a scientist, it is important to continue studying and learning about these fascinating objects in order to deepen our understanding of the universe.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is an extremely dense and compact object in space that has a gravitational pull so strong that it prevents even light from escaping. It is formed when a massive star collapses under its own gravity.

2. How do objects collapse to form black holes?

When a massive star runs out of nuclear fuel, it can no longer withstand its own gravity and starts to collapse. As the star collapses, its core becomes denser and denser, eventually reaching a point where the gravitational pull becomes too strong and the object collapses into a black hole.

3. What happens to matter that falls into a black hole?

Once matter crosses the event horizon (the point of no return) of a black hole, it is pulled towards the singularity at the center of the black hole. The gravitational force is so strong that it causes the matter to be stretched and torn apart, eventually becoming part of the singularity.

4. Can anything escape a black hole?

No, nothing can escape a black hole once it has crossed the event horizon. This includes light, which is why black holes appear black and invisible to the naked eye. However, some particles can escape from the edge of the event horizon, known as Hawking radiation.

5. Are there different types of black holes?

Yes, there are three main types of black holes: stellar black holes, intermediate black holes, and supermassive black holes. Stellar black holes are formed from the collapse of a single star, intermediate black holes are larger than stellar black holes but smaller than supermassive black holes, and supermassive black holes are found at the centers of most galaxies and have masses equivalent to billions of suns.