Due in two hours, I can't figure it out I spent 45 mins on this

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the conversation is about a chemistry homework problem asking for isomers of ethers with C4H10O. The person is struggling to find the correct arrangements and has only entered one model, which is not correct. They are advised to consider shorter or longer chains of carbons, different positions for the oxygen, and branching with other groups besides methyl. It is also noted that the drawn models are not cis and trans, but the same molecule repeated twice. One person also asks why the models are drawn diagonally instead of horizontally.
flyingpig
Due in two hours, I can't figure it out! I spent 45 mins on this

Homework Statement

Give the isomers of C4H10O that are ethers

I am doing this on Mastering Chem and it isn't working

The Attempt at a Solution

[PLAIN]http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9666/21624147.jpg

I don't understand, I've got a cis and tran, what's going on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Why do you care about CIS and TRANS? You are looking for isomers of ethers using C4H10O, and you only entered one single drawn model. You should easily be able to find other arrangements for those numbers of atoms. You should only need models using single-bonds. Think: shorter or longer chains of carbons; other positions for the oxygen; any branches other than just methyl groups?

These are not not cis and trans, what you have is the same molecule repeated twice.

hi flyingpig! :smile:

pardon a non-chemist for asking :redface:

but why are you drawing them diagonally when it seems easier to do it horizontally? :confused:

It sounds like you have made a good attempt at finding the isomers of C4H10O that are ethers. However, there may be other isomers that you have not yet considered. In order to find all possible isomers, it is important to consider the different ways in which the atoms can be arranged and bonded together. I suggest taking a step back and looking at the molecular structure as a whole, and then trying to identify any other possible arrangements. Additionally, double-checking your work and consulting your textbook or lecture notes may also provide helpful insights. Remember, sometimes it takes time and multiple attempts to find the correct solution. Keep at it and don't get discouraged. Good luck!

1. What can I do if I can't figure out my assignment due in two hours?

First, take a deep breath and try not to panic. Then, review the assignment instructions and any notes or materials provided by your instructor. If you are still unsure, reach out to your classmates or your instructor for help. You can also try breaking the assignment into smaller tasks and tackling them one at a time.

2. How do I manage my time effectively when I only have two hours left to complete my assignment?

Start by prioritizing your tasks and focusing on the most important ones first. Set a timer for each task to help you stay on track. If you're feeling overwhelmed, take short breaks to clear your mind and refocus. Remember to also allocate some time for proofreading and editing before submitting your assignment.

3. What should I do if I've already spent 45 minutes on this assignment and I'm still stuck?

If you've already spent a significant amount of time on the assignment and you're still struggling, it may be helpful to take a step back and approach it from a different angle. Try discussing the problem with a classmate or your instructor, or take a short break to clear your mind. Sometimes, a fresh perspective can make all the difference.

4. Should I ask for an extension if I can't figure out my assignment in two hours?

If you have a valid reason for needing an extension, such as unexpected personal circumstances or technical difficulties, it may be worth reaching out to your instructor and explaining the situation. However, if you've simply procrastinated or struggled with time management, it's important to take responsibility for your actions and try your best to complete the assignment on time.

5. How can I avoid being in this situation in the future?

To avoid feeling overwhelmed and struggling to complete assignments at the last minute, it's important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. This can include creating a study schedule, breaking down assignments into smaller tasks, and seeking help or clarification from your instructor when needed.