GPU on Dell n Series? Confirm or Not?

In summary: I'm sorry that was confusing. GTX580s require a bit more power than a typical graphics card, but it shouldn't be a problem to get a 600 W PSU.
aihaike
I got a Dell n-series X86_64 intel quad cores relatively recent (last September) but it seems I can not plus my GTX580 in it.
Can you please confirm or not this experience?
What a PCI-Express 2.0 looks like?
Thanks.

Eric.

Computer science news on Phys.org
PCI-Express 2.0 looks exactly like PCI-Express 1.0 and 1.1.

You need to check the motherboard in the computer can accept these cards, if not it sounds like you only have the old PCI slots available.

You also need to check that your power supply has sufficient power to run these cards.

I am curious, what mb are you using?

Nice GPU :3

But yeah, what was your previous GPU?

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies.
Actually the mother card seems to support GPU cards but the machine was not built for that.
So, the case is far to small.
The GTX580 is so big!

Eric.

You also have to make sure that the GPU isn't getting bottle necked by your CPU. It's not like you can throw a GTX580 with an AMD K6 and expect the ability to run Crysis. You have to have a CPU that can deliver enough data fast enough so the card can live up to its potential.

I have one more question.
I've read somewhere that the GTX580 requires at least 750W, which is a lot.
So I'm wondering if it is because the power supply also aliments the other part of the computer.
A regular machine usually uses like 300W I believe.
Anyway, what would be the power need by a GTX580 alone, I mean without mother card, hard-drives and so on.
Thanks,

Éric.

ok, that's better.
But again, this is for the whole system, including all the stuff a computer may run.
What about the card itself?

nVidia said:
Graphics Card Power (W): 244 W

From the same link.

ok, I mean I was aware about that but beside there so many discussion about it ...
That got me confuse, it may be as simple as you say.
Thank you for replying me.

Éric.

1. What is a GPU and why is it important for Dell n Series?

A GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is a specialized electronic circuit designed to quickly manipulate and alter memory to accelerate the creation of images in a frame buffer intended for output to a display device. It is important for Dell n Series as it enhances the visual performance and allows for better gaming, video editing, and other graphics-intensive tasks.

2. Can I upgrade the GPU on my Dell n Series?

This depends on the specific model and design of your Dell n Series. Some models may have the option to upgrade the GPU, while others may have it integrated into the motherboard. It is recommended to check with Dell customer support or refer to the product specifications to determine if the GPU can be upgraded.

3. Are GPUs on Dell n Series compatible with all types of software?

Yes, GPUs on Dell n Series are generally compatible with most types of software. However, it is important to check the system requirements of the software you want to use to ensure compatibility with the specific GPU on your Dell n Series.

4. Does using a GPU on Dell n Series affect the battery life?

Yes, using a GPU on Dell n Series can affect battery life as it requires a significant amount of power to operate. However, Dell n Series laptops are designed to optimize power consumption and may have features such as switchable graphics to help conserve battery life.

5. Is it worth getting a Dell n Series with a dedicated GPU for everyday use?

It depends on your specific needs and usage. If you primarily use your laptop for everyday tasks such as browsing the internet, sending emails, and using basic software, a dedicated GPU may not be necessary. However, if you plan to use your Dell n Series for gaming or graphic design, a dedicated GPU can greatly enhance the performance and overall user experience.