Magnetic field produced by coil and solenoid

In summary, the formulas for the magnetic field at the center of a coil and inside a solenoid give different answers in this problem. Using the solenoid formula yields an answer that agrees with the publisher's answer, while using the coil formula results in a much larger answer. This is because the assumptions for using the solenoid formula were met, while the assumptions for using the coil formula were not. Integrating the equation for a loop can give the actual result, but it is not easy to do by hand.
mikelepore
Can someone please tell me why the formula for B at the center of a coil and the formula for B inside a solenoid give widely different answers in this problem?

From Serway and Vuille, College Physics: "A solenoid with 500 turns, 0.10 m long, carrying a current of 4.0 A and with a radius of 10^-2 m will have what strength magnetic field at its center?" -- Answer provided by the publisher: 250 X 10^-4 T

My comparison of the two formulas ...

Method 1
Using the formula for the magnetic field at the center of a coil that has N turns:

B = N mu0 I / 2 R = (500 turns) (4 pi X 10^-7 T m/A) (4.0 A) / 2 (10^-2 m)
= 0.12566 T = 0.126 T
(About five times greater than the publisher's answer)

Method 2
Using the solenoid formula, which textbooks describe as becoming more accurate as the windings become more closely packed, and as the length of the solenoid becomes much larger than its diameter, and if those assumptions are met then the formula expresses the nearly uniform field everywhere inside the solenoid, not only at the center:

turns per unit length = n = N/L = 500 turns / 0.10 m = 5000 turns per meter
B = mu0 n I = (4 pi X 10^-7 T m/A) (5000 turns per meter) (4.0 A)
= 0.025133 T = 0.025 T
(Agrees with the publisher's answer.)

Does the "coil" formula cease to become applicable just because the additional assumptions for using the "solenoid" formula have been provided? If so, why?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, method 1 won't work because you aren't simply merging the wires together, you are stacking them. Because you are stacking the loops by the time you get to the last loop you are no longer in the center of the loop and the equation you're trying to use is very wrong at this point. They won't just add one by one (for multiplication by N) as you suggested.

You could get the actual result, method 2 is only an approximation, if you were to take the equation for a loop and integrate. I seem to remember the integral is not so easy to do by hand, and you may not even know about integration, so I'm not going to go into it. The book described the conditions for using the infinite length solenoid approximation, which are mostly met by this problem.

My bad, my computer froze, and I accidentally double posted.

1. What is a magnetic field produced by a coil and solenoid?

A magnetic field produced by a coil and solenoid is a region of space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created when an electric current flows through a coil or solenoid, which consists of a long, tightly-wound wire. The strength and direction of the magnetic field depends on the number of turns in the coil and the amount of current flowing through it.

2. How is the direction of the magnetic field determined for a coil and solenoid?

The direction of the magnetic field produced by a coil or solenoid can be determined using the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow in the coil, then the direction of your curled fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic field lines.

3. How does the number of turns in a coil affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The number of turns in a coil directly affects the strength of the magnetic field produced. The more turns there are, the stronger the magnetic field will be, as each turn contributes to the overall field. This is why solenoids, which have many closely-wound turns, can produce very strong magnetic fields.

4. Can the strength of a magnetic field be increased by increasing the current in a coil or solenoid?

Yes, the strength of a magnetic field produced by a coil or solenoid is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through it. Increasing the current will increase the strength of the magnetic field, while decreasing the current will weaken the field.

5. What is the difference between a coil and a solenoid in terms of magnetic field production?

A coil is a simple winding of wire, while a solenoid is a coil that is tightly wound in a cylindrical shape. The main difference between the two is that a solenoid produces a stronger and more uniform magnetic field due to its tightly-wound turns. Additionally, a solenoid has a north and south pole, while a coil may not have distinct poles depending on its shape and design.