Creating Simple Arrays in Mathematica for Beginners

In summary, an array in Mathematica is a data structure that stores a collection of elements in a specific order. To create an array, you can use the command "Array" followed by the desired size and the function or value to fill it with. Specific elements can be accessed using double-bracket notation. Operations such as adding or sorting can be performed on arrays using built-in functions. The size and shape of an array can also be changed using functions like "Partition" or "Flatten".
nezse
Hello,
I have a list {a,b,c,d}
and i want a array of the form:
{{a,b},{b,c},{c,d}}
I think it is easy, but I'm new in mathematica and I don't know what funtion to use.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
lst={a,b,c,d};
Transpose[{Most[lst],Rest[lst]}]

Thanks!

1. What is an array in Mathematica?

An array in Mathematica is a data structure that stores a collection of elements in a specific order. It is a one-dimensional list that can hold any type of data, such as numbers, strings, or even other arrays.

2. How do I create an array in Mathematica?

To create an array in Mathematica, you can use the command "Array" followed by the desired size of the array and the function or value that you want to fill the array with. For example, Array[f, 5] will create an array of size 5 filled with the function "f".

3. Can I access specific elements in an array?

Yes, you can access specific elements in an array by using the double-bracket notation. For example, if you have an array called "myArray", you can access the third element by typing "myArray[[3]]".

4. How do I perform operations on arrays in Mathematica?

You can perform various operations on arrays in Mathematica, such as adding, multiplying, or sorting them. To do so, you can use built-in functions like "Plus", "Times", or "Sort". For example, to add two arrays together, you can use "Plus[myArray1, myArray2]".

5. Can I change the size or shape of an array in Mathematica?

Yes, you can change the size or shape of an array in Mathematica by using functions like "Partition" or "Flatten". These functions allow you to split an array into smaller arrays or combine multiple arrays into a larger one, respectively.