Is there a better way to format equations in LaTeX and avoid wasted space?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter thegreenlaser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, when using LaTeX for a homework assignment, it can be challenging to show all the steps in equations without running out of room or creating a messy layout. However, using the AMSmath align and alignat environments can help with this issue and provide a more elegant solution. It is recommended to consult documentation or resources online to learn more about these environments and how to use them effectively.
thegreenlaser
I'm doing a homework assignment using latex, so I have to show all the steps in my equations. This creates a lot of situations where I'll have [given] = [something] = [something] ... = [final answer]. If I put it all in line, it tends to run out of room, and if I put it vertically (using amsmath align function), like:

[given] = [something]
= [something]
= ...
= [final answer]

It tends to waste a lot of space. Combining the two just tends to look messy and hard to follow especially with large fractions involved. Are there any elegant ways of doing this? Maybe like the vertical thing but in multiple columns? If so, how would I do that with LaTeX codes? (I'm still really new to LaTeX)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Find some documentation (online or downloadable) on the AMSmath align and alignat environments. They can do a lot more than just align equations at the "=" signs.

What is Latex?

Latex is a typesetting system commonly used in scientific and mathematical fields to create high-quality documents with complex mathematical equations and symbols.

What are the basic steps for using Latex in an equation?

The basic steps for using Latex in an equation are as follows:
1. Begin with the command "\begin{equation}" to start the equation environment.
2. Type the equation using Latex markup, such as "\frac{a}{b}" for a fraction.
3. End the equation with the command "\end{equation}".
4. Compile the document to see the equation properly formatted.

How do I add multiple equations in Latex?

To add multiple equations in Latex, use the "\begin{align}" and "\end{align}" commands to start and end the align environment. Then, use the "&" symbol to align the equations at a specific point. For example, "\begin{align} y &= mx + b \\ z &= ax^2 + bx + c \end{align}" would align the equations at the "=" sign.

Can I include symbols and special characters in Latex equations?

Yes, Latex has a wide range of symbols and special characters that can be included in equations. These can be accessed by using the "\" command followed by the symbol or character's name. For example, "\alpha" would insert the Greek letter alpha in the equation.

Is there a way to refer to equations in Latex?

Yes, equations in Latex can be labeled and referenced using the "\label" and "\ref" commands. First, label the equation with a unique name, such as "\label{eq:1}". Then, to refer to this equation in the document, use "\ref{eq:1}". This will automatically insert the correct equation number in the document.