Do driver updates improve hardware performance?

In summary, the latest driver update for the Radeon HD 5870 (crossfire) may improve performance marginally. Additionally, the update for the creative soundblaster x-fi drivers may fix a bug that caused the computer to reboot.
FishmanGeertz
I recently updated my Radeon HD 5870 (crossfire) drivers to the latest version, how do I benefit from this? Does it improve performance in any way? I also updated my creative soundblaster x-fi drivers, what did that do?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It depends what the update was for. The manufacturer website should list what they do.

It could be anything from stability, compatibility or even security updates.

One potential benefit is that a bug in an older driver is fixed so that it doesn't crash the computer any longer.

I ran into a problem a couple of weeks ago in which a video driver was causing my computer (running Win XP) to reboot when I attempted to open one specific Web page. The adapter (Radeon of some kind, if I recall) was built-in to the motherboard, and the driver was about 5 years old. After looking at the crash dump, the problem seemed to be a video driver that wasn't handling alpha values correctly. I found a new driver and installed it, after uninstalling the older driver. Problem solved.

Updating the video driver improved the performance in a binary fashion (from not working at all on selected sites, to working). It's possible that the newer version contained some performance enhancements over and above the bug fixes.

Driver updates provide improvements in all the ways suggested above, but they also have the ability to improve raw performance of what the driver is running on. I know that video card drivers can unlock pipelines in the card which can increase performance and could do other things, such as change voltages even.

It is a good idea to update your drivers even when you're not sure they're going to do anything since not every problem in the hardware comes along in normal use.

KrisOhn said:
Driver updates provide improvements in all the ways suggested above, but they also have the ability to improve raw performance of what the driver is running on. I know that video card drivers can unlock pipelines in the card which can increase performance and could do other things, such as change voltages even.

It is a good idea to update your drivers even when you're not sure they're going to do anything since not every problem in the hardware comes along in normal use.

So newest video drivers = greater efficiency, less bugs and crashes, and slightly improved performance?

Off-topic, but what are the latest ATI Radeon HD 5870 (2-way crossfire) drivers? How do I check what version I am currently using?

FishmanGeertz said:
So newest video drivers = greater efficiency, less bugs and crashes, and slightly improved performance?
In most cases yes, however occasionally you will get a driver that creates more bugs and glitches than it solves, for these rare cases I keep a copy of my previous driver backed up.

Off-topic, but what are the latest ATI Radeon HD 5870 (2-way crossfire) drivers? How do I check what version I am currently using?

I know it has something to do with Catalyst Control Center, but I can't really help you, I've never used ATI before.

For ATI it should be Catalyst Control Center. If you open CCC you should be able to get the version number.

You can find the latest drivers on ATI's site.

jhae2.718 said:
For ATI it should be Catalyst Control Center. If you open CCC you should be able to get the version number.

You can find the latest drivers on ATI's site.

It says my Catalyst version is 11.3

That's up-to-date, from my checking of the ATI website.

Note, they are typically released monthly and are labeled by year and month...

Do you mean you are running your graphics in Crossfire or the update was crossfire? Crossfire means that you are running two graphics cards in your rig. If it was the update, it means that you can now run your 5870 with a friend (I'm not sure but do they need to be the same GPU anyone in the know?)

1. Do driver updates really improve hardware performance?

Yes, driver updates can significantly improve hardware performance. Drivers are software that allow the operating system to communicate with hardware devices, and updates can fix bugs, add new features, and improve compatibility with other software.

2. How often should I update my drivers?

It is recommended to update your drivers regularly, especially when you notice performance issues or when new updates are released. However, it is not necessary to update them constantly as this can sometimes cause compatibility issues.

3. Can outdated drivers cause hardware problems?

Yes, outdated drivers can cause hardware problems such as crashes, freezes, and errors. This is because they may not be able to properly communicate with the hardware and can result in poor performance or even damage to the hardware.

4. How do I know if I need to update my drivers?

You can check for updates by going to the manufacturer's website or using a driver update software. You can also check the device manager on your computer for any devices with a yellow exclamation mark, which indicates that the driver needs to be updated.

5. Are there any risks involved in updating drivers?

While there are some risks involved in updating drivers, such as compatibility issues or potential bugs, the benefits usually outweigh the risks. It is important to only download drivers from reliable sources and to back up your current drivers before updating, just in case any issues arise.