Interaction of two point charges

In summary, both protons emit an electromagnetic field when they are decelerating and accelerating away from each other. This field has a strength relative to the magnitude of acceleration/deceleration at a given point.
goldbloom55
I'm trying to get a deeper understanding of how two particles such as protons interact with each other. In high school physics, I was told that they give off a field, which is felt by the charges, and then repels them.

My first question is, if I fire two protons at each other head on (lets assume their velocity is not great enough to cause impact to simplify the situation) does their deceleration, and then acceleration away from each other produce electromagnetic radiation (from my understanding, photons)? If so, this would mean that the repulsion is a nonelastic interaction.

Also, I've read that charged particles interact with each other by exchanging photons with each other. From my understanding (somewhat of a leap from what I've read), if a proton is near another proton, they will fire photons at each other, causing them to accelerate away from each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, I've read that charged particles interact with each other by exchanging photons with each other. From my understanding (somewhat of a leap from what I've read), if a proton is near another proton, they will fire photons at each other, causing them to accelerate away from each other.
This description makes it sound like what charged particles do is aim little bullets at each other, and the Coulomb repulsion between them is a result of the recoil from being hit. If this were so, inevitably the next question would be, how can unlike charges attract?
Actually, the photons surrounding a charged particle are considerably different from bullets. In the first place they are virtual, meaning they do not have zero mass and do not travel at the speed of light. Secondly, they are "timelike", meaning that they are not transverse (i.e. polarization pointing in a space direction perpendicular to the momentum). Their polarization points in the t direction. And really there's an infinite number of them and they all blend together to produce a time-independent effect: a Coulomb field! An approaching particle does not get fired upon and retreat, it just senses the Coulomb field and reacts accordingly.

By the case, i am confused:
Is the particle created by fields ?
or the fields are property of particles?
How comes that "virtual" photons have mass?
Another dilema about interaction between two electric charges:
Indeterminet integral for energy { ! e^2 / d ! ) gave different results when determine it from ingfionite to a point x and from 0 to point x .
From this dilema came that energy (or interraction) of a cuple of charges don't go further than d = C*1 / ( 2*pi / alpha) . is it right or rong?
scouse for this elementary questions that derive from doubt about " virtuals "

mquirce said:
How comes that "virtual" photons have mass?
Another dilema about interaction between two electric charges:
Indeterminet integral for energy { ! e^2 / d ! ) gave different results when determine it from ingfionite to a point x and from 0 to point x .
From this dilema came that energy (or interraction) of a cuple of charges don't go further than d = C*1 / ( 2*pi / alpha) . is it right or rong?
scouse for this elementary questions that derive from doubt about " virtuals "

Excellent set of questions. I am interested in knowing the response to these too.

goldbloom55 said:
My first question is, if I fire two protons at each other head on (lets assume their velocity is not great enough to cause impact to simplify the situation) does their deceleration, and then acceleration away from each other produce electromagnetic radiation (from my understanding, photons)? If so, this would mean that the repulsion is a nonelastic interaction.

I remember being taught that all accelerating charges give off electromagnetic radiation (correct me if I'm wrong). So in this case, would both protons radiate an electromagnetic field, with its strength relative to the magnitude of acceleration/deceleration at a given point?

mquirce said:

In the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=43685" which helped shed some light on the questions we had.

On the page:
http://pdg.web.cern.ch/pdg/particleadventure/frameless/unseen.html

It is quoted:
"What we normally think of as "forces" are actually the effects of force carrier particles on matter particles."

So it's the exchange particles which cause the field.

I'm still curious to know why light has mass when its virtual, and what exactly it means conceptually for photons to traverse in the time direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still curious to know why light has mass when its virtual
In order for a particle to travel any distance, it must be 'free', that is it must obey the equation that relates mass, energy and momentum: E2 = p2c2 + m2c4. For a particle standing still this reduces to the more familiar equation E = mc2. While for m = 0 it reduces to the relationship obeyed by a free photon, E = pc. A virtual particle does not have to obey this equation, it can have any energy and momentum whatsoever. We say it is off the mass shell. But because of this, its effects can only be transmitted a very short distance before it must be absorbed again by something else.
and what exactly it means conceptually for photons to traverse in the time direction.
No, what I said was, its polarization is in the time direction. The photon is described by a vector field Aμ. Again, a free photon must obey conditions that a virtual photon is not required to. A free photon must be transverse, that is if it's traveling in the z direction, the polarization vector must point in either x or y. A virtual photon can have as well the other two polarizations: longitudinal, in the z direction, or timelike, in the t direction.

1. What is the formula for calculating the force between two point charges?

The force between two point charges is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The formula is F = k * (q1 * q2) / r2, where k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between them.

2. How does the distance between two point charges affect the force between them?

The force between two point charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases. Conversely, as the distance decreases, the force increases.

3. What is an electric field and how is it related to the interaction of two point charges?

An electric field is a region in which a charged particle experiences a force. The electric field is created by a charged particle and is the force per unit charge at any given point. In the case of two point charges, the electric field is the force experienced by a test charge placed at a specific point between the two charges.

4. Can the direction of the force between two point charges change?

Yes, the direction of the force between two point charges can change depending on the relative positions and charges of the two charges. If the two charges have the same sign, the force will be repulsive and will push the charges away from each other. If the two charges have opposite signs, the force will be attractive and will pull the charges towards each other.

5. How does the interaction of two point charges affect the electric potential energy?

The interaction of two point charges affects the electric potential energy by either increasing or decreasing it. When two like charges are brought closer together, the potential energy increases, and when two opposite charges are brought closer together, the potential energy decreases. This potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy as the charges move towards or away from each other.