Do Stars Flicker Colour & Intensity in the Night Sky?

• Thread starter dacruick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, the flickering of stars is due to atmospheric effects and not the stars themselves. While there may be some variations in intensity and color due to atmospheric conditions, it is highly unlikely that an asteroid or other object could cause this flickering. The human eye is not capable of precisely measuring wavelengths, so the quoted 300 nm difference is doubtful.
dacruick
Hi,

Do stars flicker colour and intensity in the night sky?

I was in an argument with a friend of mine, and he told me stars can flicker 300nm in wavelength at 15Hz. I told him that I thought his eyes were just confusing change in intensity with colour.

Was I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
dacruick said:
Hi,

Do stars flicker colour and intensity in the night sky?

I was in an argument with a friend of mine, and he told me stars can flicker 300nm in wavelength at 15Hz. I told him that I thought his eyes were just confusing change in intensity with colour.

Was I wrong?

Since the flicker has nothing to do with the stars themselves, but rather is an artifact of diffraction of the light by our atmosphere before it reaches your eye, it seems reasonable to assume that some of the flickering is a prismatic effect by tiny moisture drops that would cause some apparent shift in color but I wouldn't know how to quantize that in wavelengths. Probably could be determined experimentally but I doubt the human eye is a sensitive enough instrument for that.

phinds said:
Since the flicker has nothing to do with the stars themselves, but rather is an artifact of diffraction of the light by our atmosphere before it reaches your eye, it seems reasonable to assume that some of the flickering is a prismatic effect by tiny moisture drops that would cause some apparent shift in color but I wouldn't know how to quantize that in wavelengths. Probably could be determined experimentally but I doubt the human eye is a sensitive enough instrument for that.

You're saying the flickering couldn't be caused by an asteroid or something of that sort? At any point in time, what is the probability that something is obstructing the optical path between our eye and the star?
Also, when you say that your eye isn't a sensitive enough instrument you are saying that you highly doubt the quoted 300 nm wavelength difference?

dacruick said:
You're saying the flickering couldn't be caused by an asteroid or something of that sort? At any point in time, what is the probability that something is obstructing the optical path between our eye and the star?
Also, when you say that your eye isn't a sensitive enough instrument you are saying that you highly doubt the quoted 300 nm wavelength difference?

The stars, as observed outside the Earth's atmosphere are essentially unwavering points of light. I'm sure there must be a fair amount of disruption of the light beams in an absolute sense but I think it's likely a small amount proportionally. That is, the small variations in intensity are nothing like the flickering that we see due to the atmospheric effects. In fact, adaptive optics can remove most of the flickering BECAUSE it is almost entirely an atmospheric effect. If the flickering were happening outside the atomsphere, adaptive optics wouldn't work.

I was not making any comment on wavelenghts, just on the ability of the human eye to make that kind of fine-tuned distinctions in intensity and wavelengths. THIS point is pretty much speculation on my part and I could be quite wrong. Certainly some humans can make astoundingly precise distinctions among colors, which are of course just different wavelenghts. The paragraph above this is not speculation.

Stars are very distant and are point-sources, as seen from Earth. Stars are very large bodies and they cannot "flicker" (short-term variations) because they are so very large. The fire in your stove might flicker, but you cannot expect a huge fusing mass like a star to vary in a way that could be described as a flicker.

Sharp drops in luminosity could theoretically be cause by occlusion (asteroid eclipse or such), but such events would be so very rare as to be vanishingly insignificant. Searches for MACHOS have turned up empty. You can draw your own conclusions.

dacruick said:
Extrordinarily unlikely. As someone who often has a telescope pointed at the night sky, I can tell you that you most often see an extraneous satellite or airplane go across your field of view and may see a handful a night.
He's just saying you can't measure specific wavelengths with your eyes.

1. What causes stars to flicker in color and intensity in the night sky?

Stars flicker in color and intensity due to the Earth's atmosphere. As light from a star travels through the atmosphere, it is distorted and scattered by various layers of air, causing the star to appear to flicker or twinkle to an observer on the ground.

2. Do all stars flicker in color and intensity?

Yes, all stars flicker in color and intensity to some degree. However, stars that are closer to the horizon may appear to flicker more due to the longer path the light has to travel through the atmosphere.

3. Can the color and intensity of a star's flickering change over time?

Yes, the color and intensity of a star's flickering can change over time. This can be due to changes in the Earth's atmosphere, such as weather patterns or temperature fluctuations, or it can be caused by the star itself, such as changes in its brightness or temperature.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect a star's flickering in color and intensity?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect a star's flickering in color and intensity. The location and altitude of the observer can play a role, as well as the size and brightness of the star itself. Additionally, atmospheric conditions such as turbulence or pollution can also impact the appearance of a star's flickering.

5. Can we predict or control the color and intensity of a star's flickering?

No, we cannot predict or control the color and intensity of a star's flickering. The Earth's atmosphere is constantly changing and there are many variables that can affect the appearance of a star's flickering. However, scientists are able to study and analyze these changes to better understand the nature of the Earth's atmosphere and the behavior of stars.