Mineralogy Course Info: Outlines, Focus, Sources

• Thread starter Boxxxed
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a course that focuses on classes of minerals, particularly aluminosilicates. The speaker suggests visiting the gem and mineral room at the American Museum of Natural History or researching the museum contents at Harvard for additional resources. They also mention their expertise in gem minerals found in pegmatite dikes and suggest seeing if the course will provide insight into prospecting for these minerals.
Boxxxed
I am taking this next semester. Anyone know of any course outlines anywhere? What minerals does the course focus on? Are there any good online sources where I can purchase good educational minerals and rocks?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
If it is like the course I took it will focus on classes of minerals rather than individual ones. The aluminosilicates will probably be central, and that is something you can work with in advance if your goal is to get a head start.

I don't know if you are close enough to NYC for this to be useful, but an awful lot of my course was present in the gem and mineral room of the American Museum of natural history.

Do you know what the text is? If so, you might find the table of contents online.

Have you researched the museum contents at Harvard? They have a wonderful collection, including some record specimens in size and mass. My specialty is gem minerals to be mined from pegmatite dikes. Think tourmalines, beryls, etc.

If you are interested in that kind of prospecting, you should see if your course will give you any insight. In general, the larger the crystal grain in the pegmatite, the slower the cooling, and the more pure the gemmy components will be, since they could come out of solution more slowly.

1. What is the focus of a mineralogy course?

The focus of a mineralogy course is the study of minerals - their composition, properties, formation, and identification. This includes learning about their physical and chemical characteristics, as well as their role in various geological processes.

2. What are the main topics covered in a mineralogy course?

Some of the main topics covered in a mineralogy course include crystallography, mineral identification, mineral properties, mineral formation and classification, and the relationship between minerals and rocks.

3. What are some common sources used in a mineralogy course?

Some common sources used in a mineralogy course include textbooks, scientific articles, online databases, mineral and rock collections, and field trips to geological sites.

4. Is prior knowledge of geology necessary for a mineralogy course?

Prior knowledge of geology is not necessary for a mineralogy course, although it can be helpful. Mineralogy courses typically cover basic geological concepts and terminology as they relate to the study of minerals.

5. What are some potential career paths for someone who takes a mineralogy course?

Some potential career paths for someone who takes a mineralogy course include becoming a mineralogist, geologist, geochemist, environmental scientist, or working in the mining or energy industries. Knowledge of mineralogy can also be useful in fields such as archaeology, materials science, and teaching.