How to calculate the moment of inertia of the rigid body?

In summary, the author is having trouble with calculating rigid bodies with different geometries. Someone help him out and explain the formulas.
copperboy
I don't know how to calculate the following rigid bodies with different geometries, can anybody help me?

Thin spherical shell: I=(2/3)MR^2

Solid sphere: I=(2/5)MR^2

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the definition of moment of inertia:

[tex]I = \int r^2 dm[/tex]

In the case of the shell the element of mass is [itex]dm = M {dA} /{4 \pi R^2}[/itex] where [itex]dA = R^2 \sin \theta d\theta d\phi[/tex]. The distance to a point on the shell from the z-axis is [itex]R^2 \sin^2 \theta[/itex] so

[tex]I = \frac {M}{4 \pi R^2} \int_{0}^{2 \pi} d\phi \int_{-\pi /2}^{\pi /2}R^4 \sin^3 \theta d\theta[/tex]

from which the desired result follows.

In the case of the solid sphere you will work with a volume integral.

Could you please explaim why [itex]dA = R^2 \sin \theta d\theta d\phi[/tex] in detail?

copperboy said:
Could you please explaim why [itex]dA = R^2 \sin \theta d\theta d\phi[/tex] in detail?
Consider an area segment dA on a sphere with radius R.
We approximate this with a rectangle:
a)Two of the sides are arclengths along great circles; the length of each of these is [tex]Rd\theta[/tex]
b) The other two are arclengths in THE HORIZONTAL PLANE; the local radius there is [tex]R\sin\theta[/tex]
Hence, the arclenth is [tex]R\sin\theta{d\phi}[/tex]
c) Multiplying together, we get:
[tex]dA=R^{2}\sin\theta{d\theta}d\phi[/tex]

copperboy said:

dA is a differential element of area on a spherical surface using spherical coordinates and it represents, to lowest order in differentials, the area of a rectangle [itex]R \sin \theta d\phi[/itex] high and [itex]R d\theta[/itex] units wide.

This is the first time I'm involved in physics studies.I'm having a lots of problems using these formulas and the textbook I'm using does not make it easy. one from "James S. Walker"
Can someone please explain how and when to use these formulas.
Thank You.

This is one way to look at it

You must be familiar with the equation F=ma.

We use the Moment of Inertia to find the Torque.
Like how the force is directly propotional to acceleration, Torque is directly propotional to angular acceleration, the propotionality constant being the moment of inertia.

Also remember about what axis you are taking the moment of Inertia while solving problems. In most problems i have encounterd which ask you to find the angular acceleration, first find the torqure taking the vector product R X F. Next find the moment of inertia of the object about the required axis. Then the acceleration can be found

Also, for a solid sphere, perphaps deriving the moment of inertia by intergrating thin rings would be easier than a volume intergral?

1. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia of a rigid body is I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the body, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion, while mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in linear motion. In other words, moment of inertia takes into account the distribution of mass within an object, while mass does not.

3. Can the moment of inertia of a rigid body change?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a rigid body can change if the distribution of mass within the object changes. This can occur, for example, if the shape of the object changes or if mass is added or removed from the object.

4. How is the moment of inertia of a rigid body affected by its shape?

The moment of inertia of a rigid body is affected by its shape because the distribution of mass within the object can change. Objects with a larger mass located farther from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia compared to objects with the same mass but with the mass distributed closer to the axis of rotation.

5. What is the unit of measurement for moment of inertia?

The unit of measurement for moment of inertia depends on the units used to measure mass and distance. In the SI system, the unit for moment of inertia is kilogram-meter squared (kg·m²). In the English system, the unit is slug-foot squared (slug·ft²).