System of ODEs independent solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution of a two-variable system using eigenvalues and eigenvectors. The solution includes two independent solutions in the form of an eigenvector multiplied by an exponential term. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using the Wronskian to verify the independence of the solutions, but this is not necessary for finding the solution.
bmxicle

Homework Statement

so I'm trying to find the general solution of this problem:
[tex]\mathbf {x'} = \begin{bmatrix} 2 & 0\\0 & 2\end{bmatrix}\mathbf{x}[/tex]

Homework Equations

det(A- rI) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]det(A - rI) = det \begin{bmatrix} 2-r & 0 \\ 0 & 2-r \end{bmatrix} =
(2-r)^{2} = 0 \Rightarrow r = 2[/tex]
[tex]A - 2I = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} \ \ \ [/tex]
So since the nullspace is [tex]\mathbb{R}^{2}[/tex] Two linearly independent eigenvectors are:
[tex]\mathbf{v_{1}} = \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} \ \ \ \ \mathbf{v_{2}} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

So this is where i get confused :p. One solution is of course [tex]\mathbf{x_1} = e^{2t}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex] However when i tried to find a solution such that [tex]\mathbf{x_2} = te^{2t} \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}(\mathbf{a}t + \mathbf{b})[/tex] It comes out inconsistent so I'm guessing that's not what you're supposed to do in this case. Another idea i had was that [tex]\mathbf{x_2} = e^{2t} \begin{bmatrix}0\\1\end{bmatrix}[/tex] is also an independent solution since the vector is linearly independent from the other solution, but I'm not entirely sure how to verify this by the wronskian for a system of equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
bmxicle said:
One solution is of course [tex]\mathbf{x_1} = e^{2t}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
bmxicle said:
Another idea i had was that [tex]\mathbf{x_2} = e^{2t} \begin{bmatrix}0\\1\end{bmatrix}[/tex] is also an independent solution since the vector is linearly independent from the other solution
That is the solution.

You get the "normal modes" of this two-variable system in the form of an eigenvector multiplied by the same exp(rt).

ehild

hmmm ok, I that makes enough sense, though need to do some more reading. Can you compute the wronskian as the determinant of the matrix of the spanning vectors, ie. [tex] W = e^{4t} \neq 0[/tex]

:confused: You do say you are only trying to find the solution. But if I have not misunderstood this is almost trivial - you have two independent elementary d.e.'s, x1' = 2x1, x2' = 2x2.

If instead you are trying to show it works out in accord with the Higher Theory, Wronskians etc. then I forget these between times and cannot help. :redface:

yes well looking at it now it definitely is almost trivial. I'm just a little hazy as to what constitutes an indepedent solution to a system of equations I guess.

1. What is a system of ODEs?

A system of ODEs (ordinary differential equations) is a set of equations that describes the relationship between a set of variables and their rates of change. These equations are used to model dynamic systems in various fields including physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are independent solutions in a system of ODEs?

Independent solutions in a system of ODEs are solutions that are not dependent on each other. This means that each solution can be found without using the other solutions in the system. In other words, each solution is unique and does not depend on the values of the other solutions.

3. How do you find independent solutions in a system of ODEs?

To find independent solutions in a system of ODEs, you can use a variety of methods such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, and the method of undetermined coefficients. These methods involve manipulating the equations in the system to isolate and solve for each individual solution.

4. Why are independent solutions important in a system of ODEs?

Independent solutions are important in a system of ODEs because they allow us to understand the behavior of the system as a whole. By finding and analyzing each individual solution, we can gain insight into how the variables in the system interact and change over time.

5. What are some real-world applications of systems of ODEs?

Systems of ODEs have a wide range of applications in various fields. Some examples include modeling the spread of diseases, predicting population growth, analyzing chemical reactions, and designing control systems for engineering processes. They are also used in physics to describe the motion of objects under the influence of forces.