Proving Inequalities and Solving Problems in Apostol Volume 1

In summary, zonk says that she is struggling with homework problems and that she does not know where to start.
zonk
Hello, I am currently using Apostol for self-study. It seems to only have answers for computational problems. Some of the other problems are hard! And I see no student solution manual to guide me through these types of problems. I have no idea where to begin.

Homework Statement

a) (Found in Exercises 6.17, 41, part a) Let f(x) = e^x - 1 - x. Prove that f'(x) >= 0 if x >= 0 and f'(x) <= 0 if x <= 0. Use this fact to deduce the inequalities e^x > 1 + x and e^(-x) > 1 - x.

b) (Found in Exercises 7.8, 4, part b) Show that |sin(r) - r^2| < 1/(200) given that sqrt(15) - 3 < 0.9. Is the difference (sin(r) - r^2) positive or negative? Give full details of your reasoning.

Homework Equations

b We use the cubic taylor polynomial approximation to x^2 = sin(x), whose root is r = sqrt(15) - 3.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) f'(x) = e^x - 1. Letting x >= 0, we get e^x - 1 >= 0 by exponentiation. I have no clue where to go from here. We could do e^x >= 1, for the first, for example, but I have no clue where to go from here.

b) The book doesn't seem to cover this at all. So how do I do it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi zonk! :smile:

For the first one, were you able to prove that [itex]e^x-1\geq 0[/itex] if and only if [itex]x\geq 0[/itex]?

In that case, could you tell me where the minimum of f is located?

For the second question, could you also write down question (a), because I have no idea what r is...

Yes, I was able to show it. The minima of f(x) is at x = 0. Because it's increasing in the interval I was able to get the answer. Thank you.

Part a is basically "Obtain the number r = sqrt(15) -3 as an approximation to the non-zero root of the equation x^2 = sin(x) by using the cubic Taylor polynomial approximation to sin(x)."

So what I did was expand sin(x) about 0 and got x^2 = x - (x^3)/3! and solved and got that root.

Last edited:
I am also having trouble with problem c.

c) Prove that [itex]\int_0^1 \frac{1 + x^{30}}{1 +x^{60}} dx = 1 + \frac{c}{31} [/itex], where 0 < c < 1.

I basically expand [itex]\frac{1 }{1 + x^{60}}[/itex] about 0 and multiply that expansion by [itex]1 + x^{30}[/itex] to get [itex]\frac{1 + x^{30}}{1 +x^{60}} = (1 + x^{30}) - (x^{60} + x^{90}) +\cdots + (-1)^n(x^{60n} + x^{60n + 30})[/itex]. Using Lagrange's form for the error, we need to find the 1st derivative of [itex]\frac{1 + x^{30}}{1 + x^{60}}[/itex], which is a long expression that couldn't possible be f'(c). Where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
zonk said:
Yes, I was able to show it. The minima of f(x) is at x = 0. Because it's increasing in the interval I was able to get the answer. Thank you.

Part a is basically "Obtain the number r = sqrt(15) -3 as an approximation to the non-zero root of the equation x^2 = sin(x) by using the cubic Taylor polynomial approximation to sin(x)."

So what I did was expand sin(x) about 0 and got x^2 = x - (x^3)/3! and solved and got that root.

OK, so for (b) you need to solve [itex]|sin(r)-r^2|[/itex]. So the question is how do you calculate sin(r). Well, you calculate sin(r) by taking the Taylor approximation. But this time you should add the remainder term!

zonk said:
I am also having trouble with problem c.

c) Prove that [itex]\int_0^1 \frac{1 + x^{30}}{1 +x^{60}} dx = 1 + \frac{c}{31} [/itex], where 0 < c < 1.

I basically expand [itex]\frac{1 }{1 + x^{60}}[/itex] about 0 and multiply that expansion by [itex]1 + x^{30}[/itex] to get [itex]\frac{1 + x^{30}}{1 +x^{60}} = (1 + x^{30}) - (x^{60} + x^{90}) +\cdots + (-1)^n(x^{60n} + x^{60n + 30})[/itex]. Using Lagrange's form for the error, we need to find the 1st derivative of [itex]\frac{1 + x^{30}}{1 + x^{60}}[/itex], which is a long expression that couldn't possible be f'(c). Where did I go wrong?

For this, I would first take the Taylor expansion of

[tex]\frac{1+y}{1+y^2}[/tex]

in two terms (where the second is the remainder). And then substitute [itex]y=x^{30}[/itex].

I understood problem b but problem c is still hard to understand.

So we have [itex]\frac{1 + y}{1 + y^2} = 1 + E[/itex] where [itex]E = f'(c) x[/itex].

Also [itex]f'(y) = \frac{y'(1 + y^2) - 2yy'(1 + y)}{(1 + y^2)^2}[/itex]

So [itex]f'(x) = \frac{30x^{29}(1 + x^{60}) - 60x^{59}(1 + x^{30})}{(1 + x^{60})^2}[/itex]

As you can see f'(c) turns out to be something ghastly.

I think I'm missing something essential, so until my supplementary book arrives, I feel clueless at approximations.

I am teaching myself calculus using Larson's book. It is pretty easy to understand. However, many people in the forums talk about books by Spivak and Apostol.

What benefits would I get from learning from Spivak or Apostol, that I would lack using Larson?

Apostol is very definitive and thorough in the theoretical sense. This can make it harder to understand but, whence one does understand more thorough and rewarding. I can't comment on Larson as I have never used his text.

If you are learni g Calculus on your own it is a good idea to use the material on http://ocw.mit.edu in addition to your book.

Particularly their single and multivariable calculus courses which include the complete sets of video lectures and video recitation sessions.

I particularly reccomend

This course

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01sc-single-variable-calculus-fall-2010/"

followed by this course

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-02sc-multivariable-calculus-fall-2010/"

to anyone teaching themselves the calculus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help information and the links!

After reading the first chapters in Spivak and Apostol and completing the first 10 exercises in each book, I see how different the books are from Larson

This being said, I prefer the style of Apostol over Spivak. On the ocw.mit.edu website there is a course: Calculus with Theory, that uses Apostol volume 1. It also has notes by Professor Munkres. (Of Topology fame.)

I discovered an amazing book, "Elementary Analysis" by Ross. To get experience with proofs, terms and notation, I plan to start with Ross and then continue to Apostol, Volumes 1 and 2.

Curtis1000 said:
Thanks for the help information and the links!

After reading the first chapters in Spivak and Apostol and completing the first 10 exercises in each book, I see how different the books are from Larson

This being said, I prefer the style of Apostol over Spivak. On the ocw.mit.edu website there is a course: Calculus with Theory, that uses Apostol volume 1. It also has notes by Professor Munkres. (Of Topology fame.)

I discovered an amazing book, "Elementary Analysis" by Ross. To get experience with proofs, terms and notation, I plan to start with Ross and then continue to Apostol, Volumes 1 and 2.

I always preferred Apostol's style myself. Yeah, I'm familiar with the "Calc w Theory" course. Too bad there are no video lectures. I would probably recommend that as a "second time around" course, after one has taken single and multivar calc.

Ross's book sounds interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Oh yeah.. I have Dr. Munkres book "Topology". i need to take a refresher in Topo myself. :)

1. What makes "Problems in Apostol Volume 1" a challenging book for mathematicians?

"Problems in Apostol Volume 1" is known for its rigorous and advanced level of mathematics, making it a challenging read for even experienced mathematicians. The problems in this book require a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to think creatively and critically.

2. Are the problems in "Problems in Apostol Volume 1" relevant to modern mathematics?

Yes, the problems in this book are still relevant to modern mathematics. While the book was first published in 1970, the concepts and theories covered are still widely studied and used in current mathematical research and applications.

3. How can "Problems in Apostol Volume 1" help improve problem-solving skills?

This book provides a wide range of challenging problems that require different approaches and techniques to solve. By working through these problems, mathematicians can improve their critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. Can "Problems in Apostol Volume 1" be used as a textbook for a course?

While this book is not typically used as a primary textbook for a course, it can be a valuable supplemental resource for students. It can also be used for self-study or as a reference for teachers and professors.

5. Is there a particular background or level of mathematical knowledge needed to understand "Problems in Apostol Volume 1"?

Yes, this book is best suited for readers who have a strong foundation in mathematics, including a thorough understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and basic proof techniques. Some prior knowledge of abstract algebra and number theory may also be helpful.