Poorly describe movies and guess what they are

• Thread starter blade123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary: Good Morning, Vietnam3. Jarhead5. Men in Black6. Chinatown7. Training Day8. Inglourious Basterds10. Rocky
mege said:
Oh, oh... that's For Richer or Poorer ;)

Not the film I was thinking of, but I suppose your wink symbol means that you were not actually serious. Perhaps you are suggesting that my clue is too obvious?

Since making that post I have had a crisis that the film I was thinking of has already been mentioned, but I can't find it. I don't know if anyone else has tried it, but hunting back through this thread for specific references is not actually that easy! Anyway, I have a vague memory of a particular scene using a certain piece of music having been already mentioned, but that might actually be on a completely different thread!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ken Natton said:
Not the film I was thinking of, but I suppose your wink symbol means that you were not actually serious. Perhaps you are suggesting that my clue is too obvious?

Since making that post I have had a crisis that the film I was thinking of has already been mentioned, but I can't find it. I don't know if anyone else has tried it, but hunting back through this thread for specific references is not actually that easy! Anyway, I have a vague memory of a particular scene using a certain piece of music having been already mentioned, but that might actually be on a completely different thread!

Oh, I didn't think you were actually presenting a clue so I was being a little obtuse.

mege said:
Oh, I didn't think you were actually presenting a clue so I was being a little obtuse.

Yes, my apologies. The first paragraph in my post #207 was just the continuation of my, I confess somewhat facetious exchange with Mr Snyder. The second paragraph...

Ken Natton said:
The Pennsylvanian countryside. Big city culture clashes with a simpler, more ancient lifestyle. And a secret, spontaneous dance to a sixties classic.

...was intended to be a clue to another big Hollywood film of the not too distant past.

Ken Natton said:
The Pennsylvanian countryside. Big city culture clashes with a simpler, more ancient lifestyle. And a secret, spontaneous dance to a sixties classic.
...Don't know much about biology, but I do know that I love you...

Witness.

DaveC426913 said:
...Don't know much about biology, but I do know that I love you...

Witness.

And I love you too DaveC for getting that. Yes that is exactly what I had in mind. I'm sure I remember somewhere discussion of the piece of music 'Raising the Barn' which was written for that film - perhaps it was on the thread about film music.

I don't suppose you have any thoughts on any of my other outstanding clues Dave C?

Ken Natton said:
The corniest final scene ever? Ah, but everyone cried. He was spotless in white.
(That corny final scene has been often referenced, including by The Simpsons.)

A classic courtroom drama. But the verdict is not the end of it. Everyone in the cinema jumped.
(The classic courtroom drama was written by the same guy that wrote the film from which Sharon Stone’s most infamous scene comes.)

That's no way to cook game! Will he pay the ultimate price for his sexuality?
(As is the one with dubious culinary methods which scene has begat a whole new term for the troublesome type of woman thus portayed.)

Ken Natton said:
All right, another round of films that maybe no-one will get. These are all Hollywood films that were the centre of water cooler chat when they were released. But not a CGI graphic, not a special effect or a moment of 'action' between them.

It's always the children who suffer. He is thrown into the parenting deep end. She wins the case but finally puts the boy's interests first.

The corniest final scene ever? Ah, but everyone cried. He was spotless in white.

A classic courtroom drama. But the verdict is not the end of it. Everyone in the cinema jumped.

Alll the women gave a sardonic smile. All the men shifted uncomfortably. In a cafe, in public, she proved her point.

Ken Natton said:
And I love you too DaveC for getting that. Yes that is exactly what I had in mind. I'm sure I remember somewhere discussion of the piece of music 'Raising the Barn' which was written for that film - perhaps it was on the thread about film music.

I don't suppose you have any thoughts on any of my other outstanding clues Dave C?

Most of these were gotten, were they not?

Kramer vs. Kramer
Field of Dreams
?
Eating Raoul? The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover?
When Harry Met Sally

DaveC426913 said:
Most of these were gotten, were they not?

Kramer vs Kramer and When Harry Met Sally were correct. But Field of Dreams was not what I was thinking of and neither was The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover which film I recall no previous mention of on this thread and I am surprised but pleased to know had any impact at all in the US, since it was a satire on Britain under Mrs Thatcher. I did say that all five of those films I gave clues to were Hollywood films. The Cook… is a British film. The films I am thinking of that have not been guessed were all quite as prominent as Witness, Kramer vs Kramer and When Harry Met Sally.

The give away clues would be,

Richard Gere

Glenn Close and Jeff Bridges

Michael Douglas and Glenn Close

They seem so obvious now.

An officer and a Gentleman

Jagged Edge

Fatal attraction

---

Old friends become bitter enemies. Will the former slave triumph over his enemy's machinations?

A young lady who cannot get into the habit finds love during turbulent times.

Jimmy said:
A young lady who cannot get into the habit finds love during turbulent times.

The Sound of Music?

Jimmy said:
An officer and a Gentleman

Jagged Edge

Fatal attraction

Ah ha!. Many thanks Jimmy, you are of course 3 for 3.

Unfortunately, I cannot return the compmlement. I think zoobyshoe is probably dead right with The Sound of Music, but I can't identify the other one from your clue.

zoobyshoe said:
The Sound of Music?
Yes!

Ken Natton said:
Ah ha!. Many thanks Jimmy, you are of course 3 for 3.
Well, I feel a bit dumb not being able to figure them out earlier. :smile: They were easy once the actors were named.

Unfortunately, I cannot return the compmlement. I think zoobyshoe is probably dead right with The Sound of Music, but I can't identify the other one from your clue.
Yes, it was poorly described.

The star later played a simian-hating astronaut in a late 60s Sci-Fi classic.

Jimmy said:
Yes, it was poorly described.
That's the general idea!

Jimmy said:
The star later played a simian-hating astronaut in a late 60s Sci-Fi classic.

But, (after, I confess a little Wiki research) I believe I have it. Are we talking a certian chariot racing epic? I think we might be talking about Ben-Hur, staring Charlton Heston who later played Taylor in Planet of the Apes.

Ken Natton said:
But, (after, I confess a little Wiki research) I believe I have it. Are we talking a certian chariot racing epic? I think we might be talking about Ben-Hur, staring Charlton Heston who later played Taylor in Planet of the Apes.
Exactly right! I was tempted to use the race as a clue but that seemed too easy.

A couple more:

Shady soldiers redeem themselves behind enemy lines.

A dashing pirate who was mostly dead all day.

jimmy said:
shady soldiers redeem themselves behind enemy lines.
lotr.

Jimmy said:

Three Kings

No idea on the second, however.

Star-crossed lovers in Manhattan.

Anabasis in Manhattan.

Jimmy said:

"I do not sink zat means what you sink it means"

Princess Bride

MATLABdude said:
-shady soldiers redeem themselves behind enemy lines.

Three Kings

No idea on the second, however.
That was a very good guess, but not what I had in mind. It fits just as well though.

The film in question was set during WWII.

DaveC426913 said:
"I do not sink zat means what you sink it means"

Princess Bride
Yes!

Jimmy Snyder said:
Star-crossed lovers in Manhattan.

Moonstruck?

DaveC426913 said:
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover?

I saw that years ago! It was... !

Jimmy said:
Moonstruck?
It might be a good fit, I can't say. I never saw it. It's not what I had in mind though. Who were the original star-crossed lovers?

Jimmy Snyder said:
It might be a good fit, I can't say. I never saw it. It's not what I had in mind though. Who were the original star-crossed lovers?
To be honest, it's been years since I've seen it so I may be way off base. I'll have to think about it some more.

Edit: I keep thinking Romeo and Juliet, but that doesn't exactly fit given the Manhattan reference.

Jimmy said:
Well, it's sure not Kelly's Heroes... :biggrin:

Jimmy said:
To be honest, it's been years since I've seen it so I may be way off base. I'll have to think about it some more.

Edit: I keep thinking Romeo and Juliet, but that doesn't exactly fit given the Manhattan reference.
The poor side of Manhattan.

Jimmy Snyder said:
It might be a good fit, I can't say. I never saw it.

Moonstruck is awesome. Very funny. Nick Cage is great. Cher is absolutely radiant.

"Do you love im?"
"Aw mom, I love I am awful."
"Oh God. That's too bad."

The list of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093565/quotes" from Moonstruck is as long as my arm (hand included!)

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
Well, it's sure not Kelly's Heroes... :biggrin:
Very similar though. :) It was released three years before Kelly's heroes. Donald Sutherland and Telly Savalas were in both.

DaveC426913 said:
Moonstruck is awesome. Very funny. Nick Cage is great. Cher is absolutely radiant.

"Do you love im?"
"Aw mom, I love I am awful."
"Oh God. That's too bad."

I remember that is was very good. I just added to my Netflix queue. :)

Last edited:
Jimmy said:
Very similar though. :) It was released three years before Kelly's heroes. Donald Sutherland and Telly Savalas were in both.

Ah yes. Along with ten other equally filthy guys... :wink:

Jimmy Snyder said:
The poor side of Manhattan.
West Side Story?

Jimmy said:
West Side Story?
That's what I had in mind.

Jimmy Snyder said:
That's what I had in mind.
I figured I would guess it eventually.

A suicide precipitates a reunion of college friends.

Jimmy said:
I figured I would guess it eventually.

A suicide precipitates a reunion of college friends.

The Big Chill.

Great soundtrack!

lisab said:
The Big Chill.

Great soundtrack!

Correct on both counts. :biggrin:

Describes at least three different movies. Guess all three:After an ascent to the top of the music charts his life ends in a plane crash.

zoobyshoe said:
Describes at least three different movies. Guess all three:

After an ascent to the top of the music charts his life ends in a plane crash.

The Buddy Holly Story
La Bamba
The Day the Music Died

Haven't seen the one about the Big Bopper yet.