How can I determine noise levels in orifice flow meters?

In summary, the person is looking for suggestions on how to derive a method or equation for determining noise in orifice flow meters, as there is currently no standard in place. They have been researching principles of aerodynamic and hydrodynamic noise predictions and have a competent/advanced knowledge of fluid flow but only an average knowledge of acoustics. They ask if anyone has any suggestions, and someone recommends asking their employer to purchase the "ISA Handbook of Control Valves," which has equations for controlling valve noise.
DaiG
My employer has asked me to derive a method or equation for determining noise (in decibels) in orifice flow meters. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions that could help me get on my way? I've been looking at basic principles of aerodynamic and hydrodynamic noise predicitions. As far as I'm aware there isn't a current standard in place for noise levels in orifice meters but several large companies have generated software packages to calculate noise levels in orifice meters which conform to IEC 534-8-3 and IEC 534-8-4 which details aerodynamic and hydrodynamic noise in throttling valves. My knowledge of Fluid flow is competent/advanced but my knowledge of acoustics is average at best. Anyone with any suggestion? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ask your employer to purchase, "ISA Handbook of Control Valves." Chapter 7 discusses control valve noise and has equations. You should be able to figure out how to apply them to an orifice.

1. What is noise in orifice flow meters?

Noise in orifice flow meters refers to the unwanted signals or fluctuations in the measured flow rate caused by turbulence or irregularities in the flow stream. This can lead to inaccurate readings and affect the overall performance of the flow meter.

2. What are the common causes of noise in orifice flow meters?

The main causes of noise in orifice flow meters are high flow velocities, changes in fluid density, and irregularities in the flow stream such as bends or obstructions. Improper installation and maintenance of the flow meter can also contribute to noise.

3. How does noise affect the accuracy of orifice flow meters?

Noise in orifice flow meters can result in fluctuations in the measured flow rate, leading to inaccurate readings. This can affect the overall accuracy and repeatability of the flow meter, making it challenging to obtain precise and consistent measurements.

4. How can noise in orifice flow meters be minimized?

There are several ways to minimize noise in orifice flow meters, including using a flow conditioner to reduce turbulence, proper installation to avoid obstructions and bends, and regular maintenance to ensure optimal performance. Selecting the right orifice plate and maintaining a consistent flow rate can also help reduce noise.

5. Can noise in orifice flow meters be eliminated completely?

Noise in orifice flow meters can never be eliminated entirely, but it can be reduced to a minimal level. The key is to minimize the causes of noise and ensure proper installation and maintenance of the flow meter. Regular calibration and adjustments can also help improve accuracy and reduce noise levels.