Circuit Problem. Potential Difference

In summary, the homework statement is that find potential difference Vab between points a and b on the figure. All resistances and emfs are indicated, note the polarity of the batteries. What happens if the polarity of E1 is reversed (polarity of E2 kept the same) and both emfs are made equal?
sky.flower1234

Homework Statement

Find potential difference Vab between points a and b on the figure. All resistances and emf’s are indicated, note the polarity of the batteries. What happens if the polarity of E1 is reversed (polarity of E2 kept the same) and both emfs are made equal?

Homework Equations

Okay, so you definitely need to use Kirchoff's rules here.

I also read in my text that if you want to find Vab all you do is go from point b to point a on your circuit (I'm wondering if me solution is too simple) (I did make a circuit through a program however that proves my answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I got that Vab= -(R2(I1+I2)) (I1 and I2 come from E1 and E2)

also, I saw that with switching E2 there is no current through R2. I am not sure why this is true though, is it because a path goes through the least resistance?

Attachments

• Circuit.png
    Circuit.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 562
Physics news on Phys.org
So I calculated the total resistance for both emf to be 2R1+2R2, does this sound about right?

I just figured that R2 was in series for both while the 2R1 on the top was in parallel with the 2R1 on the bottom?

Hi sky.flower123! :smile:Let's start with the first part of your question.

Shouldn't the currents be eliminated, since they are not given?
I would assume the problem asks for Vab in terms of E1, E2, R1, and R2.Btw, hat do you mean by "total resistance"?
I think you can only talk about a "total resistance" if there is a maximum of 1 emf involved.
And anyway, the problem doesn't ask for a total resistance, does it?As for the second part of your question.
If the emf's are made equal, what would happen to the ratio of the currents?

Hey!

When I say total resistance I mean of all the resistance combined in the circuit to help me find I1+I2 (this is including both E1 and E2)

I changed up my formula to say this:

-(R2*(E1+E2/2R1+2R2)

for the second part of the question I guess the ration of my currents would be -1:1? This means they would cancel out?

Hmm... that looks...

Right for all parts! :smile:

(Although I would expect the direction of Vab to be the other way around, but if your book says so, then I guess it's okay.)

I was mainly just going off of how my book says to go from point B to point A and that Vab=Va-Vb. Plus using Kirchoff's rules I figured that I am going in the way of the current across a resistor so then my change in potential would be negative?

You're quite right.
I just expected: Vab = Vb - Va.
But as I said, if your book says it's the other way around, that's what it is for you! :)

What is a potential difference?

A potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric circuit. It is the driving force that causes electric charges to flow from one point to another.

How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter. It is typically measured by placing the voltmeter in parallel with the component or circuit being measured.

What is the relationship between potential difference and current?

The relationship between potential difference and current is described by Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the potential difference across it, given a constant resistance.

Can potential difference be negative?

Yes, potential difference can be negative. This occurs when the direction of current flow is opposite to the direction of the electric field, resulting in a negative voltage value.

How does potential difference affect the brightness of a light bulb?

Potential difference is directly related to the brightness of a light bulb. As the potential difference increases, the current flowing through the bulb increases, resulting in a brighter light. Conversely, decreasing the potential difference will result in a dimmer light.