My Cockroft-Walton Multiplier is not multiplying the voltage as projected

• Thread starter intrepidelder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, Intrepid Elder is trying to create a DC circuit that outputs 480 volts. However, he is having difficulty because his caps and diodes are not rated for such a high voltage. He is using 1N4004 diodes and 500V 20% HI-Q Ceramic Disc capacitors. He has also put resistors in series to drop the voltage, but is still having trouble achieving the desired result.
intrepidelder
Currently I have been messing around with relatively low voltage diodes and caps and arranging them in the specified order that has been found on the internet. My complication is this: My input is simply 120 V ac from a wall outlet. when connecting one stage ( one stage consisting of 2 Diodes and 2 Caps) the ouput voltage is 260 v dc. This is great! and exactly the result that I had anticipated. Following this I attatched one more stage, but my output voltage was only 312v dc. This isf ar below what is anticipated in the calculations. I should be receiving 480 vdc at the very least! I have exhausted all my resources and turn to anyone one who can aid me in my project.

I must clarifiy that the Caps I have are rated for 500 v and the diods are rated for 400 v, so the componet's limits are not being exceeded. I have arranged the diodes correctly so that they are facing the correct direction. For a refrence of the layout that i am using you can use this link as a reference: http://blazelabs.com/e-exp15.asp

I would greatly appreciate some help

-IntrepidElder

Engineering news on Phys.org
What type of diodes are you using?

What is capacitance value (and voltage rating) of your caps?

What, if any, loading do you have on the output? (including the measurement circuit).

Do yourself a favor when playing around with a circuit like this and stick a relatively large resistor in series with the output (at least 300k while you're experimenting). And BE CAREFUL.

What kind of capacitors do you use? I think certain large types lose their ability to store charge(their capacitance goes down) if they are charged around half their voltage rating. I forget where I read this, but I thought it was for electrolytics. So if you are drawing a load from it, your effective source resistance will be much higher. Is the circuit unloaded?

The 4 caps are 0.001µF 500V 20% HI-Q Ceramic Disc Capacitor and the Diodes are 1N4004 Micro 1-amp Rectifier Diodes. I did put so resistors in series, but all that did was drop the voltage by two. I have no load yet, and am using a Voltmeter to ckeck the voltage that is all I have hooked up to it. so yes the current is unloaded.

-Intrepid Elder

1. Why is my Cockroft-Walton Multiplier not multiplying the voltage as projected?

There could be multiple reasons for this issue. It could be due to a faulty circuit, incorrect connections, or incorrect component values. It is important to thoroughly check each component and connection to ensure they are functioning properly.

2. How can I troubleshoot my Cockroft-Walton Multiplier if it is not multiplying the voltage as expected?

First, check all the connections and make sure they are secure. Then, use a multimeter to measure the voltage at each stage of the multiplier to identify any potential issues. You can also compare the values with the expected output to pinpoint the problem.

3. Can using the wrong type of diode affect the performance of my Cockroft-Walton Multiplier?

Yes, using the wrong type of diode can significantly impact the performance of your multiplier. Make sure to use high-voltage diodes with a high reverse breakdown voltage to ensure proper functioning.

4. Is it possible to damage my Cockroft-Walton Multiplier if I exceed the input voltage?

Yes, exceeding the input voltage can damage your multiplier. Make sure to check the maximum input voltage rating of your multiplier and always stay within that limit to avoid any damage.

5. Do I need to use a specific type of transformer for my Cockroft-Walton Multiplier to work efficiently?

Yes, it is recommended to use a high-frequency transformer for better efficiency in a Cockroft-Walton Multiplier. A transformer with a high turns ratio can also help increase the output voltage. However, it is important to choose a transformer with a suitable voltage rating for your multiplier.