Does Interbreeding and Domestication Increase or Decrease Genetic Diversity?

• Thread starter diatom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    diversity
In summary, the question is whether the genetic diversity of the human species would decrease or increase if all races and cultures were to intermingle and reproduce until there was only one homogeneous group. The second question is whether there is more genetic diversity within the wolf species now that dogs have been bred by humans, and if there is more diversity within the wolf population compared to domesticated dogs.
diatom
If all the different races or cultures of mankind began to intermingle and reproduce with one another until there was just one homogenous culture or race, would the genetic diversity of the species as a whole have lessened or grown. Would the species as a whole be more robust before or after the homogenization occurred?

I realize there's probably something wrong with saying "one homogenous race" because it's not really clear what that means, but my question was inspired by someone else's comments made on another site, so I don't know how else to phrase it.

Is there more genetic diversity within the wolf species (including domesticated dogs) now that dogs have been bred by man? Is there more genetic diversity within the wolf population (not including domesticated dogs) than there is within the population of domesticated dogs?

Biology news on Phys.org
diatom said:
If all the different races or cultures of mankind began to intermingle and reproduce with one another until there was just one homogenous culture or race, would the genetic diversity of the species as a whole have lessened or grown. Would the species as a whole be more robust before or after the homogenization occurred?

I realize there's probably something wrong with saying "one homogenous race" because it's not really clear what that means, but my question was inspired by someone else's comments made on another site, so I don't know how else to phrase it.

Is there more genetic diversity within the wolf species (including domesticated dogs) now that dogs have been bred by man? Is there more genetic diversity within the wolf population (not including domesticated dogs) than there is within the population of domesticated dogs?

You are asking two very separate questions.

Firstly regarding humans; "homogeneous race" really doesn't make much sense to me. We are already one species with pretty low diversity and we do intermingle and reproduce. However to answer your question if we were all one ethnicity then yes our diversity will have gone down.

Secondly I'm not an expert on the subject but I know that through domestication we have caused the speciation of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_domestic_dog#Specialization", so yes we have increased their diversity.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is genetic diversity?

Genetic diversity refers to the variety of genetic traits within a population or species. This includes differences in DNA sequences, gene frequencies, and the presence of different alleles.

2. Why is genetic diversity important?

Genetic diversity is important because it allows for a population or species to adapt and survive in changing environments. It also increases the chances of having individuals with beneficial traits that can contribute to the overall health and resilience of the population.

3. How does genetic diversity change over time?

Genetic diversity can change over time through natural selection, genetic drift, and gene flow. Natural selection favors individuals with advantageous traits, leading to an increase in the frequency of those traits in a population. Genetic drift is a random process that can decrease genetic diversity, while gene flow introduces new genetic variations into a population.

4. What factors can affect genetic diversity?

Environmental factors, such as habitat destruction and climate change, can greatly impact genetic diversity by reducing the size and interconnectedness of populations. Human activities, such as over-harvesting and introduction of non-native species, can also decrease genetic diversity.

5. How is genetic diversity measured?

Genetic diversity can be measured in various ways, including the number of different alleles within a population, the frequency of those alleles, and the heterozygosity of individuals. DNA sequencing and genetic markers can also be used to measure genetic diversity.