What is the mass moment of inertia about the y-axis for a composite object?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the mass moment of inertia about the y-axis using integration. The person asking for help has attempted the calculation using different methods and has arrived at the wrong answer. They have also used a calculator to double-check their work and have found the same incorrect answer. However, the person offering assistance points out that the calculator was in degrees mode instead of radians mode, which was the reason for the wrong answer. The conversation ends with the person expressing gratitude for the help and successfully obtaining the correct answer.
Spectre5
Can someone please help me with this problem...I need to find the mass moment of inertia about the y-axis (see picture)

I know this can be done as two composite areas/volumes and I know that doing this through integration is not the "best" or "easiest" way...but this is how I want to do it...with that said, here is what I have done/tried...but I get the wrong answer...

[tex]I_{yy}[/tex] = mass moment of inertia about the y axis

[tex]I_{yy}=\int{\int{\int{(x^2+z^2)}}}dm[/tex]

[tex]I_{yy}=\int{\int{\int{(x^2+z^2)}}}\rho dV[/tex]

[tex]I_{yy}=\rho*\int{\int{\int{(x^2+z^2)}dy}dx}dz[/tex]

[tex]I_{yy}=\rho*\int{\int{\int{(x^2+z^2)}rdr}d\theta}dz[/tex]

[tex]I_{yy}=\rho*\int{\int{\int{((r\cos{\theta})^2+z^2)}rdr}d\theta}dz[/tex]

[tex]I_{yy}=7830*\int_{0}^{.09}{\int_{-\pi}^{0}{\int_{.04}^{.08}{(r^3\cos^2{\theta}+z^2r)}dr}d\theta}dz[/tex]

[tex]I_{yy}=.0355779...[/tex]

BTW, as you can see, rho is 7830 for this problem

Answer = .0249726... (I found this answer through calculating the mass moment of inertia by composite areas, and I know this is correct)

Attachments

• displayB.32.jpg
    displayB.32.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 500
Physics news on Phys.org
btw, in case you can't tell from the limits...I took theta to be the angle measurd from the positive x-axis to the positive y-axis

Try evaluating that last integral again and see if you get the right answer.

--J

I used a calculator to do it...and I plugged it in like 100 times or more lol...I haved checked it all many times over...I also tried doing it all seperately (like doing each part on the calculator seperately)..just to make sure the calc was not messing up...but it still did not work...I got the same answer everyway I did it...
:(

Mathematica's spitting out the correct answer from your integral.

--J

hm...thanks for evalutating that for me! So I was right then! hahaha...hm...now I wonder why my calc gave me the wrong answer (ti-89)...oh well...I will go through it the long way...which I did plan on doing anyways...I just didn't want to spend all the time on figuring it out without knowing I was doing it right...

Oh well...thanks for using Mathematica..my ti-89 failed me for the first time :/

You got your 89 in degrees mode. Set it back into radians and you're good.

-J

DoH! ALL that time and that was my problem...sigh...thanks for pointing out my stupidity :/

I just did it again any my calc did not fail me..haha..got the right answer

thanks again!

1. What is the definition of mass moment of inertia?

Mass moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is the rotational equivalent of mass in linear motion and is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is mass moment of inertia different from moment of inertia?

The term "moment of inertia" can refer to both mass moment of inertia and area moment of inertia. Mass moment of inertia is used to describe rotational motion, while area moment of inertia is used to describe bending or twisting motion.

3. How do you calculate the mass moment of inertia of a simple object?

For simple objects with uniform density, the mass moment of inertia can be calculated using specific formulas based on the shape of the object. For example, the mass moment of inertia for a solid sphere is 2/5 * m * r^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and r is its radius.

4. What factors affect the mass moment of inertia of an object?

The mass and shape of an object are the main factors that affect the mass moment of inertia. Objects with larger masses and distributed farther from the axis of rotation will have larger mass moments of inertia, making them more resistant to changes in rotational motion.

5. Why is mass moment of inertia important in engineering and physics?

Mass moment of inertia is important in engineering and physics because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in rotational motion. It is used in the design of structures and machines to ensure stability and efficient use of energy. It also plays a crucial role in the study of rotational motion and its applications in various fields.