Fizz Physics Edu-Novel - Has Anyone Tried It in their Classroom?

• Thread starter marc1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Fizz and found it to be an interesting alternative way to motivate his students to learn about the history and fundamentals of physics. In summary, the book is a fictional novel about a girl who time travels to meet Galileo, Newton and Einstein and discuss the universe with them. Teachers who are interested in using the book in their classes should be aware that it is geared towards middle school students and is not as serious as physics classes that are geared towards high school or college students.
marc1
Physics edu-novel "Fizz"

The American Association of Physics Teachers July newsletter mentioned an interesting new book named Fizz which (in the style of Sophie's World) tells the history of physics from Aristotle to Hawking in the format of a fictional novel about a girl who time travels to meet Galileo, Newton and Einstein and discuss the universe with them. (Site: http://www.fizz-book.com" /) Could be an interesting alternative way to motivate physics students to learn about the history and fundamentals of physics.

Has anyone tried it in their classroom?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your link above does go to the books site, which offers a "few chapters"in various formats (Google Books, Kindle, maybe Nook?) Actually sees like more than a "few" in Google books... up to page 314 of 502 -- although there's some chunks missing as I look towards the end?

It might be fun looking at, but I'm not up for reading the sample on the computer at the time at this stage in life (with a busy toddler usually at my side wanting to read her books or play outside), especially at the computer (since she doesn't even let me do my job there without banging at the "spare" compute right next to me).

I presently teach college introductory classes anyways... and they're past the stage this is geared towards; it seems more geared towards middle-school. Maybe I can see if I can get a copy and then pass it on to my son's middle school science teacher after we've read it (I'll claim I'm asking him to do so to "review it" also). Then maybe I can report back something interesting.

Yeah the free online version is not the entire book - I guess you have to pay for the entire paperback or e-book.

I don't think its targeting middle school though - despite the fun story line the physics is pretty serious - I am thinking more like high school or maybe even intro to college science.

Marc

1. What is "Fizz Physics Edu-Novel" and what makes it unique?

"Fizz Physics Edu-Novel" is a teaching tool designed for the classroom that combines the concepts of a novel and educational content in the subject of physics. It is unique in that it presents physics concepts in a fun and engaging way, making it easier for students to understand and retain the information.

2. Who created "Fizz Physics Edu-Novel" and what is their background in education and physics?

"Fizz Physics Edu-Novel" was created by a team of educators and physicists who have a strong background in both fields. They have extensive experience in teaching and have used their knowledge to develop an effective and innovative teaching tool.

3. How is "Fizz Physics Edu-Novel" incorporated into the classroom curriculum?

"Fizz Physics Edu-Novel" can be used as a supplemental tool in the classroom to reinforce and enhance the teaching of physics concepts. It can also be used as a standalone resource for students to learn at their own pace.

4. Has "Fizz Physics Edu-Novel" been tested and proven to be effective in the classroom?

Yes, "Fizz Physics Edu-Novel" has been tested in various classrooms and has shown to be effective in improving students' understanding and retention of physics concepts. It has also received positive feedback from both teachers and students.

5. Are there any support materials or resources available for teachers using "Fizz Physics Edu-Novel"?

Yes, there are support materials and resources available for teachers, including lesson plans, worksheets, and answer keys. These materials are designed to help teachers effectively incorporate "Fizz Physics Edu-Novel" into their lesson plans and ensure a successful learning experience for their students.