Condensation in vacuum container

In summary, the speaker is asking for help with a lens that has been damaged by water. They are considering using rice or silica to dry it out, but are unsure if they will need to drill a hole in the lens body to let air in. They are seeking advice on the best course of action.
IanCremona
Hi,

I'm building a lens and stupidly rinsed one component before putting the lens body together with epoxy glue. Now when I leave the lens in the sun the trace of water left in the vacuumed lens body turns into condensation and blurs out the vision. I've seen loads of forums suggesting using rice or silica to dry it out, will this work for me? Or will I need to drill a hole in the lens body to air it out again?

thanks
Ian

Physics news on Phys.org
any help would be greatly appreciated

Wouldn't you have to drill a hole to put the silica/rice in as well?

1. What is condensation in a vacuum container?

Condensation in a vacuum container is the process of a gas or vapor turning into a liquid when placed in a container with lower pressure than its surroundings. This is due to the decrease in temperature caused by the lower pressure, which causes the molecules to lose energy and come closer together, forming a liquid.

2. How does condensation occur in a vacuum container?

Condensation occurs in a vacuum container when the pressure inside the container is lower than the vapor pressure of the gas or vapor inside. As the pressure decreases, the molecules of the gas or vapor lose energy and slow down, causing them to come closer together and form a liquid.

3. What are the factors that affect condensation in a vacuum container?

The factors that affect condensation in a vacuum container include the initial pressure and temperature of the gas or vapor, the volume of the container, and the rate at which the pressure is lowered. The type of gas or vapor and the surface properties of the container can also play a role in the condensation process.

4. What are the applications of condensation in a vacuum container?

Condensation in a vacuum container has various applications in industries such as food packaging, pharmaceuticals, and electronics. It is also used in vacuum distillation processes to separate and purify substances. In scientific research, vacuum containers with condensation can be used to create an artificial environment for studying physical and chemical processes.

5. How can condensation in a vacuum container be prevented?

To prevent condensation in a vacuum container, the pressure must be kept above the vapor pressure of the gas or vapor inside. This can be achieved by maintaining a higher temperature inside the container or by reducing the volume of the container. The container walls should also be designed to minimize the transfer of heat, which can contribute to lowering the pressure and causing condensation.