Can I Just Use Trigonometric Functions Without Understanding Them?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of knowing trigonometric functions in math and physics, as well as understanding their meanings and being able to derive other formulas from basic ones. It is helpful to have a list of formulas but not necessary to remember all of them. The conversation also mentions using trig in vectors and complex numbers.
Mépris
Hi,

For my exams, I am provided with a list of trigonometric functions. I do know at least a good half of those I'm supposed to know but I was wondering if I could get away with *just* knowing how to use them? I know things like sin^2(x)=1 - cos^2(x) or sin(A+B) = sinAcosB + cosAsinB but there are a handful of them I don't remember. Will that be detrimental in the future if I'm majoring in math or physics?

Cheers

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is helpful to know trig as good as you can... You never know when it will come in handy, and it does a LOT especially in physics... I made this little dewhicky to help me when I was learning (still am learning), mostly for vectors in physics. All of the equations come from the original SOH CAH TOA.

Trig.png

If you are given a list of formulas, then obviosuly you don't need to remember them all (face-palm!)

On the other hand you do need to understand what they mean, so you can use them sensibly.

FWIW after 30 years using them regularly I still can't remember all the "variations" on trig formulas, but I know enough of them to be able to derive the rest quickly when I need them

If you know the basics of
sin2 a + cos2 a = 1
sin(a+b) = sin a cos b + cos a sin b
cos(a+b) = cos a cos b - sin a sin b
sin(-a) = -sin(a), cos(-a) = cos(a)

You should be able to work out all the other formulas for double and half angles, and
2 sin a cos b = sin(a+b) + sin(a-b) etc.

Then letting a+b = x and a-b = y you can get all the formulas for
(sin or cos a) +/- (sin or cos b).

For complex numbers, everything follows from eix = cos x + i sin x.

I can assure you that having a good understanding of trigonometric functions is crucial for success in math and physics. While memorizing specific equations and identities is important, it is equally important to understand the fundamental concepts behind these functions. This will not only help you in solving problems, but also in understanding their applications in various fields of science.

Furthermore, as you progress in your studies, you will encounter more complex trigonometric functions and their applications. It is important to have a strong foundation in these basic functions in order to build upon them and tackle more advanced concepts. So while it may seem tempting to just focus on knowing how to use the functions, it is important to also have a solid understanding of their properties and relationships.

In summary, having a thorough understanding of trigonometric functions is essential for success in math and physics. While memorizing specific equations can be helpful, it is important to also focus on understanding the underlying concepts. This will serve you well in the future as you continue to study and apply these functions in your scientific pursuits. Good luck with your exams!

1. What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that relate the sides and angles of a triangle. They are commonly used in geometry, physics, and engineering to solve problems involving triangles and periodic phenomena.

2. What are the six basic trigonometric functions?

The six basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, tangent, cosecant, secant, and cotangent. These functions are used to calculate the ratios between the sides of a right triangle.

3. How are trigonometric functions used in real life?

Trigonometric functions are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as calculating the height of a building, measuring the distance between two points, and predicting the tides. They are also used in fields like astronomy, navigation, and architecture.

4. What is the unit circle and how is it related to trigonometric functions?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. It is used to visualize and understand trigonometric functions. The coordinates of points on the unit circle correspond to the values of the trigonometric functions at different angles.

5. What is the difference between sine, cosine, and tangent?

Sine, cosine, and tangent are all trigonometric functions, but they differ in how they are calculated. Sine is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cosine is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tangent is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side. They are often used together to solve problems involving triangles and angles.