Random Variable Measurability w.r.t. Sigma Fields

In summary: X=c} is strictly between the empty set and the whole space. But what does that mean for the probability of an event?It means that the probability of an event is between 0 and 1, depending on the value of c. In summary, the author is having trouble understanding probability problems involving three parts. If anyone could give him a starting point, he would appreciate it. The problem is Billingsley 5.1. a. X is measurable w.r.t. the sigma field J iff sigma(X) is a subset of J. b. If J = {empty set, omega}, then X is measurable w.r
empyreandance
Hello everyone,

I'm having a little trouble with a probability problem with three parts; I think I'm having trouble wrapping my head around just what's going on here. If anyone could give me a starting point, I'd appreciate it.

Here's the problem (Billingsley 5.1) (X a random variable)

a. Show that X is measurable w.r.t. the sigma field J iff sigma(X) is a subset of J. Show that X is a measurable w.r.t. sigma(Y) iff sigma(x) is a subset of sigma(Y)

b. Show that if J = {empty set, omega}, then X is measurable w.r.t. J iff X is constant.

c. Suppose that P(A) is 0 or 1 for every A in J. This holds, for example, if J is the tail field of an independent sequence, or if J consists of the countable and cocountable sets on the unit interval with Lebesgue measure. Show that if X is measurable w.r.t. J, then P[X=c] = 1 for some constant c.

Thanks for any and all help!

Best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you see topology already?? The techniques used here ressembles the techniques in topology.

Anyway, for (a), you need to prove that if X is measurable, then [itex]\sigma(X)[/itex] is a subset of J.

So, firstly, how is [itex]\sigma(X)[/itex] defined?

Hello,

I thought there might be some sort of topological argument, but the book is very analysis-oriented, so I was trying to stick to that line of thinking. σ(X) is defined as the smallest sigma field that X is measurable w.r.t., i.e. the intersection of all such fields.

empyreandance said:
Hello,

I thought there might be some sort of topological argument, but the book is very analysis-oriented, so I was trying to stick to that line of thinking. σ(X) is defined as the smallest sigma field that X is measurable w.r.t., i.e. the intersection of all such fields.

OK, so [itex]\sigma(X)[/itex] is the smallest sigma field such that X is measurable. Doesn't that make it easy to show that [itex]\sigma(X)\subseteq J[/itex]?? X is measurable w.r.t. J after all...

Ah yes, of course it does. I'm not sure why I missed that. Thanks. As for the other parts, any suggestions?

For the reverse, you know that [itex]\sigma(X)\subseteq J[/itex]and that [itex]\sigma(X)[/itex] makes X measurable. You need to show that J makes X measurable. So by going to a finer sigma field, you preserve measurability. That shouldn't be too difficult?

No, it's not bad at all. It's more parts b and c that I remain a bit lost on

OK take X to be measurable wrt the trivial sigma field. We wish to prove that X is constant.

What is [itex]\{X=c\}[/itex] for each c in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]?? A measurable set w.r.t. the trivial sigma field,right?? What can you deduce?

Yes, definitely measurable. Oh! If X is not constant, then the inverse image maps to a set strictly smaller than the space, or am I completely confused now? My apologies, for some reason I'm having particular difficulty on this one.

OK, [itex]\{X=c\}[/itex] is a measurable set wrt to the trivial sigma-algebra. But the trivial sigma-algebra only has two measurable sets: [itex]\emptyset[/itex] and [itex]\Omega[/itex].

So what are the only possibilities for [itex]\{X=c\}[/itex]??

Ah, either the empty set or the entire space. So, for {X=C} to be measurable it either has to be the empty set or omega.

empyreandance said:
Ah, either the empty set or the entire space. So, for {X=C} to be measurable it either has to be the empty set or omega.

Yes! And what does it mean that [itex]\{X=c\}=\Omega[/itex]??

It means the set of x in omega s.t. X(x) = c is the entire space, correct?

empyreandance said:
It means the set of x in omega s.t. X(x) = c is the entire space, correct?

So, if [itex]\{X=c\}=\Omega[/itex], then the function is constant, right??

What you have proven is that either [itex]\{X=c\}[/itex] is empty or is omega. If there is a c such that [itex]\{X=c\}[/itex], then you're done.

Now prove that there must exist such a c. Hint: what is [itex]\{X\in \mathbb{R}\}[/itex]??

Yes, the function is assuredly constant. X in R is the set of omega such that X(w) is in R. However, X is a random variable, so it maps from the the space to R. So, I feel the connections starting to coalesce in my head... I think now, Since J is the empty set or the whole space and we've shown that either {X=c} is empty or is omega, then since X in R is the set of omega such that X(w) is in R, which should be the entire space. Then, since if a X(y) = d, whereas X(x) = c elsewhere, both these sets would map back to sets strictly smaller than the space, but strictly larger than the empty set by the way they're defined, yes?

Awesome, I can't thank you enough for both your help and patience!

1. What is a random variable?

A random variable is a mathematical function that assigns a numerical value to each possible outcome of a random experiment. It is used to represent the uncertain or random nature of a real-world phenomenon.

2. What is measurability of a random variable?

The measurability of a random variable refers to its ability to be measured or evaluated in a systematic and consistent manner. A measurable random variable is one that can be assigned a numerical value for each possible outcome of an experiment.

3. What is a Sigma field?

A Sigma field, also known as a sigma algebra, is a collection of subsets of a sample space that satisfies certain properties. It is used in probability theory to define the events that can be measured and assigned probabilities.

4. What is the relationship between random variable measurability and Sigma fields?

A random variable is measurable with respect to a Sigma field if the numerical value assigned to each possible outcome of the random experiment can be determined using the properties of the Sigma field. This means that the random variable must be able to be evaluated for all events in the Sigma field.

5. Why is random variable measurability important?

Random variable measurability is important because it allows us to assign probabilities to events and calculate expected values, which are essential in making predictions and decisions in uncertain situations. It also helps in defining and understanding the properties of random variables and their relationships to other mathematical concepts.