Good textbook for general relativity and quantum mechanic

In summary, the individual is seeking to gain a thorough understanding of general relativity and quantum mechanics in order to apply it to computational work and use it for a master's degree in astrophysics. They are looking for book recommendations, but it should be noted that their undergraduate degree is in aerospace engineering and they have some background in QM and relativity from self-study. They are open to any level of complexity in the recommended books.
Hades1989
I want to get the fully understanding in general relativity and quantum mechanic in the level that I can master it and use it for computation. I can handle most of equation, so please suggest me no matter how complex the equation in the book is. I really want it to do some reserch to send as an application material for master degree in astrophysics. So please suggest me (many books would be good).:smile:
For my education background : I graduated from aerospace engineering, However during undergrad I read some physics textbook that have quantum machanic and relativity(not the quantum and GR text) but those book doesn't prove and analyse some equation. So my purpose is to understand these 2 theories as I understand Newton law F=ma, I mean the real basic real understanding not just memorize the method.
Thank you for your reccomendation

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We need to know your academic background before people can recommend books.

What was your undergraduate degree? If you lack coursework in QM, that's what I'd concentrate on. You'll find many threads in this section of the forum with recommendations for books. But I expect that you'd have to do coursework to make up the deficiency anyway if you got into a master's program.

I graduated from aerospace engineering. I've never take relativity and quantum mechanic course. However, I read some physics textbooks which include these subjects for example principle of physics by serway. So much of my knowledge came from self studying

1. What is the best textbook for learning about general relativity and quantum mechanics?

The best textbook for learning about general relativity and quantum mechanics is subjective and depends on the individual's learning style and background knowledge. Some popular options include "Introduction to General Relativity" by John Wheeler and "Quantum Mechanics: Principles and Applications" by David McIntyre.

2. Are there any textbooks that cover both general relativity and quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are several textbooks that cover both general relativity and quantum mechanics. Some examples include "Quantum Gravity" by Carlo Rovelli and "General Relativity and Quantum Cosmology" by Abhay Ashtekar.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in physics to understand these topics?

While a strong background in physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand general relativity and quantum mechanics. Many textbooks on these topics are designed for beginners and provide a thorough introduction to the concepts.

4. Are there any online resources or lectures that can supplement a textbook on these topics?

Yes, there are many online resources and lectures available that can supplement a textbook on general relativity and quantum mechanics. Some popular options include online courses on platforms like Coursera and YouTube channels like Veritasium and PBS Space Time.

5. How long does it typically take to study and understand general relativity and quantum mechanics?

The amount of time it takes to study and understand general relativity and quantum mechanics varies for each individual. It depends on factors such as prior knowledge and dedication to studying the topics. It could take anywhere from several months to a few years to fully grasp these complex concepts.