Finding Happiness Through Stories: Non-Self Help Books to Lift Your Spirits

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Lift
In summary, this book teaches you to try things out before rejecting them, in order to find out if they have merit.
KingNothing
Hi all. I would really like to get better at appreciating things in my life, and being more comfortable and confident talking to others. It would sound like 'self help' book territory, but I hate self-help books. I just don't do well with them.

My friend Jesse told me about a book he was reading that through the storyline and the trials the protagonist had gone through, Jesse had learned to appreciate more things in his life and was happier.

Can you guys recommend any similar books? Things that might help a person when they are down but not self-help?

Science news on Phys.org

A couple that spring instantly to mind:

Siddartha - Herman Hesse
The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho

I re-read them both a few weeks ago, they're both really short (like, read in a sitting short) and they both leave me with a very satisfied, and calm feeling. I don't think I can articulate the messages they contain half as well as the books themselves do, so I won't, but I'm sure if you look them up @ Amazon you will find amazing reviews.

Readers Digest sometimes has stories of real life adventures. I remember they had the story of the mom cat who in a fire went back and forth into the flames to save all of her litter. She came out of the ordeal with no ears and half her hair burnt off, and with pictures too. Then there was the guy who want to do a trek across Anartica, and in the process lost half his gear down a snow covered crevice, went just about snow blind, survived a storm, and ended up at some station where they did not know what to make of this half frozen-half-alive guy.
Might be interesting to you.

Tom Robbins writes great books that are mostly explorations in the philosophy of life through story telling, very bizarre story telling. Gregory McGuire's books are similar but more focused on the story telling and characters than philosophy. Any really good book though ought to leave you feeling better for having read it. One I read not that long ago which I really enjoyed was The Good Fairies of New York by Martin Miller. It does not have so much philosophy in it as just "life lessons" and happy endings. His general style is similar to Neil Gaiman who actually counts himself a fan of Miller and wrote the introduction to the copy of Good Fairies I have. I would suggest his books too.

There's a book that teaches you that you shouldn't reject something out of hand but try it first to find out whether it has merit. But instead of being preachy, it shows you an episode where a person rejects an admitedly unusual breakfast treat. They wouldn't eat it even under a rather large number of admitedly unusual circumstances. But when they try it they like it and declare that they would indeed eat it under those circumstances they previously rejected. I wish I could remember the name of it.

What is the main concept behind "Finding Happiness Through Stories"?

The main concept behind "Finding Happiness Through Stories" is that reading non-self help books can have a positive impact on one's mood and overall happiness. These stories can provide escapism, inspiration, and perspective, all of which can contribute to a sense of well-being and contentment.

What types of books are included in "Finding Happiness Through Stories"?

"Finding Happiness Through Stories" includes a variety of genres such as fiction, poetry, memoirs, and biographies. The common theme among these books is that they offer a new perspective or an uplifting message that can bring joy and happiness to the reader.

How can reading stories contribute to finding happiness?

Reading stories can contribute to finding happiness by providing a temporary escape from reality, which can help reduce stress and anxiety. Stories can also inspire and motivate readers, giving them a sense of purpose and hope. Additionally, stories can offer new perspectives and teach valuable lessons that can lead to personal growth and contentment.

Are there any scientific studies or evidence to support the concept of finding happiness through stories?

Yes, there are several scientific studies that have shown a positive correlation between reading and happiness. Reading has been linked to improved cognitive function, stress reduction, and increased empathy, all of which can contribute to overall happiness. Additionally, studies have shown that reading for pleasure can improve mental health and well-being.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using non-self help books to find happiness?

While reading non-self help books can have many benefits, it is important to note that it is not a substitute for professional therapy or self-help techniques. Additionally, some books may not resonate with every reader, and it is important to find the right book that speaks to your individual needs and interests. It is also important to have a healthy balance and not rely solely on books for happiness.