Momentum and Translation operator.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of translation operator and how it relates to the momentum operator. It is mentioned that the Stone-von Neumann uniqueness theorem explains how the momentum along the x-axis is proportional to the derivative operator with respect to x in the position representation. The translation operator is defined and its action on a wave function is explained in terms of the Taylor-expansion formula. This leads to the well-known expression for the momentum operator in the position representation.
Black Integra
In the concept of translation operator, there's a line said that

pUIINX.gif

where
gif.latex?T(0)=1.gif
and
pQzIHQ.gif

How could they interpret that this parameter ρ is really a momentum operator?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the position representation, the momentum along axis x is proportional to the derivative operator wrt x. This is a consequence of the Stone-von Neumann uniqueness theorem.

Since the infinitesimal generator of translations along x-axis is proportional to the first derivative, again wrt x, it follows simply that the momentum along x is the generator of translations along the same axis, i.e. x.

I don't understand your notation. Anyway, in position representation, the translation operator is given by

[tex]\hat{U}(\vec{\xi})=\exp(\mathrm{i} \hat{\vec{p}} \cdot \vec{\xi}),[/tex]

where I've set [itex]\hbar=1[/itex] for simplification of notation. By definition it acts on a wave function in the domain of the momentum operator by

[tex]\hat{U}(\vec{\xi}) \psi(\vec{x}):=\psi(\vec{x}+\vec{\xi}).[/tex]

Comparing this to the Taylor-expansion formula,

[tex]\psi(\vec{x}+\vec{\xi})=\exp(\vec{\xi} \cdot \vec{\nabla}) \psi(\vec{x}),[/tex]

immediately gives the well-known expression

[tex]\hat{\vec{p}}=-\mathrm{i} \vec{\nabla}[/tex]

for the momentum operator in the position representation.

@dextercioby: That's exactly what I want as an answer. Thanks.
@vanhees71: Thanks for that reply :)

1. What is momentum in physics?

Momentum is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. In other words, it is the quantity of motion a moving object possesses.

2. How is momentum related to the translation operator?

The translation operator is a mathematical operator that describes the motion of an object from one position to another. It is closely related to momentum because it is responsible for the change in an object's position, which in turn affects its momentum.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular momentum?

Linear momentum is the product of an object's mass and its velocity in a straight line. Angular momentum, on the other hand, is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. It describes the rotational motion of an object.

4. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. This means that the combined momentum of all objects in the system before and after a collision or interaction will remain the same. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

5. How do momentum and energy relate to each other?

Momentum and energy are both important concepts in physics, and they are closely related. In a closed system, where no external forces act, the total momentum and the total energy will both remain constant. This is known as the conservation of energy and momentum.