Any ideas for a small c++ code I could make?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who has a basic understanding of C++ and wants to create a program that has a practical function. They are seeking ideas and advice for how to improve their programming skills, specifically in creating a program to index data with multiple input fields and the ability to search for specific entries. They also mention their interest in learning programming for potential future applications. They mention working on a project to convert temperatures from Celsius to Fahrenheit. Suggestions are given for more specific project ideas based on personal interests.
rollcast
I thing I've got the hang of the basics of c++ and want to try and make some thing that actually has a function other than just making code to calculate something that I could already have done using a calculator.

Anyone got any ideas and then when I make I code post my code and see if any could show me some improvements I could make to it?

Thanks
AL

Technology news on Phys.org
Most C++ textbooks have some non-trivial programming exercises. (At least my students thought they were non-trivial. :smile:)

For more specific suggestions, it might help if you tell us what sort of things you're interested in. You're more likely to apply yourself to something related to your own interests. I once spent a lot of time writing a C++ program to convert a database of my classical-music CD collection from a proprietary format to one that could be imported by MySQL.

I would really like to make a program that I can use to index data, but I'd want to say have five fields to input data into and then be able to search the data again but only data that inputed in say field a.

That's pretty ambitious. In essence what you want to do is to create an application that creates a small database, and then let's the user search for entries in the database by a particular field.

Thanks Mark, Its what I've really started learning C++ to do, also I also want to learn programing incase I ever need it later on, university etc.

I'm working on a celsius to Fahrenheit converter that will take a range, max and min and then a number of steps for the range and work out the Fahrenheit and celsius for these.

1. What is the purpose of the small C++ code?

The purpose of the code depends on what you want to achieve. It could be for learning purposes, practicing a specific concept, or solving a particular problem.

2. Where can I find inspiration for a small C++ code?

You can find inspiration from various sources such as online coding forums, programming books, or even by brainstorming with friends or colleagues.

3. How do I come up with my own unique idea for a small C++ code?

To come up with a unique idea, you can start by identifying a problem or a task that you would like to solve or automate. Then, think about how you can use your knowledge of C++ to create a program to solve that problem.

4. What are some good beginner-friendly ideas for a small C++ code?

Some good beginner-friendly ideas could include creating a calculator, a simple game, or a program that converts currency or temperature. It's important to start with a simple project and gradually increase the complexity as you gain more experience.

5. Are there any resources or tutorials that can help me with creating a small C++ code?

Yes, there are many online resources and tutorials available that can guide you through creating a small C++ code. Some good places to start are websites like Codeacademy, Udemy, or YouTube tutorials. You can also refer to C++ programming books or join online coding communities for support and guidance.