Range of alpha particles in a silicon detector

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the range of α-particles in silicon by integrating the stopping power. The units of range are given in g/cm2 instead of cm or m because absorption of radiation is dependent on the mass in the target. The conversation also suggests doing the integration assuming a constant stopping power and multiplying it by the density of silicon.
neural_jam
Hi,
I'm trying to find the range of α-particles in silicon; I can work out the stopping power, [itex]\frac{dE}{dx}[/itex], but the reference I'm using then states that I need to integrate it as follows:

[itex]R=\int_T^0 ([/itex]-[itex]\frac{dE}{dx} ) ^{-1} dE[/itex]

The thing is, I'm not sure as to how to even start this integration, can anyone help?

I can actually look up the value using the page below to calculate it, but I'd like to check it by doing it myself.

http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/Star/Text/ASTAR.html

Also this page gives the units of range in g/cm2, can anyone explain why it's this and not just cm or m? I've seen in other places where g/cm2 and cm seem to be interchangeable, so if it gives the range as 7.375x 10-03g/cm2, can I just use it as 7.375x 10-03cm?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
neural_jam said:
Hi,
The thing is, I'm not sure as to how to even start this integration, can anyone help?

Also this page gives the units of range in g/cm2, can anyone explain why it's this and not just cm or m? I've seen in other places where g/cm2 and cm seem to be interchangeable, so if it gives the range as 7.375x 10-03g/cm2, can I just use it as 7.375x 10-03cm?

Try to do the integration by assuming a constant stopping power. The stopping power is different for different alpha energies, but gives at least an estimation of the range. What is the kinetic energy of your alpha particle?

You of course cannot make g/cm2 to cm just by changing the unit. What happens if you multiply this by the density of silicon?

deccard said:
You of course cannot make g/cm2 to cm just by changing the unit. What happens if you multiply this by the density of silicon?

Did you mean divide it by the density of Si? If so you get cm, which is very useful, thankyou.

However, I don't quite understand what I'm doing when I do this; I mean how do they get to the g/cm2 units in the first place? Also, why do they use this unit for range instead of cm or m or whatever?

Many thanks

Last edited:
neural_jam said:
Did you mean divide it by the density of Si? If so you get cm, which is very useful, thankyou.

However, I don't quite understand what I'm doing when I do this; I mean how do they get to the g/cm2 units in the first place? Also, why do they use this unit for range instead of cm or m or whatever?

*Ahem*, Yes I mean divide. Thicknesses are many times given in g/cm2 for for example beam target's. This is because the absorption of radiation in a target is dependent on the mass in the target.

2 cm gaseous nitrogen target is very different from 2 cm lead target. Instead of saying that you have 2 cm nitrogen target with density of 1.03mg/cm3 and 2 cm lead target with density of 11.3g/cm3, you could just say that you have targets with thicknesses 2.06mg/cm2 and 22.6g/cm2 without actually mentioning the target material and people already have an idea how radiation is absorbed in the target.

What a about the integration did you get it?

1. What is a silicon detector?

A silicon detector is a type of particle detector that is used in scientific experiments to detect and measure the presence of charged particles. It is made up of layers of silicon semiconductor material, which can generate an electrical signal when hit by a charged particle.

2. How do alpha particles interact with a silicon detector?

When alpha particles pass through a silicon detector, they ionize the atoms in the silicon material, creating electron-hole pairs. This results in a small electrical current that can be measured by the detector.

3. What is the range of alpha particles in a silicon detector?

The range of alpha particles in a silicon detector can vary depending on the energy of the particles. On average, alpha particles can travel up to a few millimeters in silicon before being stopped.

4. What factors affect the range of alpha particles in a silicon detector?

The range of alpha particles in a silicon detector can be affected by the energy of the particles, the thickness of the silicon material, and the composition of the material. Higher energy particles can travel further, while thicker materials and materials with a higher atomic number can stop alpha particles at a shorter range.

5. What is the significance of studying the range of alpha particles in a silicon detector?

Understanding the range of alpha particles in a silicon detector is important for accurately measuring the energy and identifying the type of particles that are being detected. It is also useful in studying the properties of different materials and their interactions with charged particles.