Calculating Force of 29.9kg Barbell Underwater

• Thread starter SnowOwl18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Underwater
In summary, the bodybuilder would need to exert a force of 37.28N to lift the steel barbell underwater.
SnowOwl18
-----A bodybuilder is holding a 29.9kg steel barbell above her head. How much force would she have to exert if the barbell were lifted underwater?----

Ok...I'm really not sure of this one. I thought maybe the answer was the weight of the barbell (mg) plus the atmospheric pressure at sea level...does anyone know if I'm headed in the right direction? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
buoyant force

Consider the buoyant force that the water exerts on the barbell. This force acts upwards, making the barbell easier to lift under water.

most equations say that the buoyant force= density of water x volume of object x gravity. but i do not know the volume...i do know that mass= density x volume...but if that is so, couldn't i theoretically just multiply the mass of the barbell by gravity to get the answer?

No. One equation uses the density of water; the other, the density of steel. (But you're getting closer.)

Steel...I should've seen that. Well, what I tried to do was find the volume of steel using what I knew... 29.9kg= 7860kg/m^3 x V ...and for that value I got 0.0038m^3...and so I multiplied that by the density of water and then by gravity to get the buoyant force and got 37.28N, but the program says it's wrong. And I thought I was headed in the right direction...lol. Is there another huge mistake I'm making?

That's the correct value for the buoyant force. So, how does that relate to the force that the bodybuilder needs to exert on the barbell?

Well...the buoyant force is the weight of the displaced water...aha! I have it. You subtract the buoyant force from the force that would normally be exerted above water (mg). Thank you for your help! :D

1. How do you calculate the force of a 29.9kg barbell underwater?

The force of the barbell underwater can be calculated using the formula F = mg, where F is the force, m is the mass (29.9kg), and g is the gravitational acceleration (9.8 m/s^2). This gives us a force of 293.02 Newtons.

2. How does the force of a 29.9kg barbell change when underwater compared to on land?

The force of the barbell will be greater underwater due to the added weight of the water on top of it. This is because the water exerts pressure on the barbell, increasing its overall weight and thus increasing the force.

3. What is the significance of calculating the force of a barbell underwater?

Calculating the force of the barbell underwater allows us to understand the impact of water on objects and how it affects their weight. This is important for activities like scuba diving or underwater construction, where the weight of objects can greatly impact their movement and stability.

4. Can the force of a 29.9kg barbell underwater be changed?

The force of the barbell can be changed by altering its mass or the depth of the water it is submerged in. This is because the force is directly proportional to the mass and depth of the water.

5. Is there a limit to how deep a 29.9kg barbell can be submerged before the force becomes too great?

Yes, there is a limit to how deep the barbell can be submerged before the force becomes too great. This is because as the depth increases, the weight of the water on top of the barbell also increases, leading to a greater force being exerted on it. At a certain depth, the force may become too great for the barbell to handle, leading to it sinking or breaking.