Limits of Human Vision: Visible Spectrum and Beyond

In summary, the wikipedia image provided is an accurate representation of the visible spectrum, with minor discrepancies due to variations in measurement. The seven real colors in the spectrum are VIBGYOR, with all other colors being sensations caused by combinations of these colors. The concept of color temperature is often used in TV rather than discussing specific color wavelengths. However, it is possible for the human eye to perceive longer-wavelength radiation in certain cases at high intensities.
hkunkun
I got this thing from wikipedia: http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9878/vlszo.jpg
605px-Linear_visible_spectrum.svg.png

Link to wikipedia: Visible spectrum

So:
- Is it the right scan of visible spectrum? Because when I search, there are a lots of other version, which is not really like each other. (Google Link)
- What is the number of Wavelength of the TRUE red/orange/yellow/green/cyan/blue/violet? And the red/blue/green 's wavelength using in TV?

Thanks a lots! And sorry for my bad English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
hkunkun said:
<Wikipedia Pic>

So:
- Is it the right scan of visible spectrum? Because when I search, there are a lots of other version, which is not really like each other. (Google Link)

The answer is yes... Moreover all images are same , just a very minor difference. Remember that in physics nothing is exact. Its just nearest approximation.

- What is the number of Wavelength of the TRUE red/orange/yellow/green/cyan/blue/violet? And the red/blue/green 's wavelength using in TV?
Huh ? Number of wavelength ? That's wrong. Wavelength of colours are given in your image only. There are only 7 real colours : VIBGYOR .
All others are sensations caused by combination of these real colours.

Thanks a lots! And sorry for my bad English.

No worries !

sankalpmittal said:
Huh ? Number of wavelength ? That's wrong. Wavelength of colours are given in your image only. There are only 7 real colours : VIBGYOR .
All others are sensations caused by combination of these real colours.

Thanks for the good answer :)
I have a mistake, my really means is the wavelength that show the truest color of V/O/B/G/Y/O/R. Also the wavelength of R/B/G color using in TV.
Thanks again!

Though it is typically considered that "red' boundary of visible spectrum is about 700-750 nm, a human eye can see a radiation with wavelength up to approx. 950 nm as red light, if the intensity is high enough. I observed 940-nm radiation of a laser diode which seem to me as dark-red. Concerning longer-wavelength radiation, an eye can see it in some cases due to non-linear processes at very high intensity level. I saw 1064-nm pulses which hit white- paper screen as green flashes at intensity of order of 10^9 W/cm^2. The green flashes were produced within my eye rather within the paper. It was established by use of green and IR light filters.

What is the visible light spectrum?

The visible light spectrum is the portion of the electromagnetic spectrum that is visible to the human eye. It includes all the colors of the rainbow, from red to violet. It is commonly measured in nanometers (nm) and ranges from 400nm to 700nm.

What are the colors of the visible light spectrum?

The colors of the visible light spectrum are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. These colors are the result of different wavelengths of light being perceived by our eyes.

Why is the visible light spectrum important?

The visible light spectrum is important because it enables us to see the world around us. It also plays a crucial role in plant growth and photosynthesis, as well as in various technological applications such as photography and fiber optics.

How is the visible light spectrum produced?

The visible light spectrum is produced when an object reflects or emits light of different wavelengths. This light is then perceived by our eyes as different colors, creating the spectrum that we see.

What is the relationship between light and color in the visible light spectrum?

Light and color are closely related in the visible light spectrum. Different colors are produced by different wavelengths of light, and the intensity of the color is determined by the amount of light present. Our eyes are able to detect and interpret these different wavelengths, allowing us to see a variety of colors.