Find the tension in each string

In summary, to find the tension in each of the three strings attached to a hanging mass of 5.00 kg, we can use the equation W=mg and consider the equilibrium of the point where the strings join. After drawing a free body diagram and considering the vectorial components, we can easily find the tensions in each string.
mechanics_boy

Homework Statement

A mass of 5.00 kg hangs attached to three strings as shown in the figure (see image below). Find the tension in each string. Hint: Consider the equilibrium of the point where the strings join.

Homework Equations

W=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Well finding the tension in string 3 (T3) was relatively easy:

w=mg
mass of the block = 5.00 kg
g = 10 ms-2
w = 5.00 x 10 = 50 N

It is the other two (T1 and T2) I'm not sure. In fact I'm at lost with what I learned in class and applying. I noticed the problem states a hint (equilibrium where strings join) but I'm not seeing how this information can be used.

**LINK TO THE PICTURE**: http://postimage.org/image/63m5xydbj/

http://postimage.org/image/63m5xydbj/

Physics news on Phys.org
mechanics_boy said:

Homework Statement

A mass of 5.00 kg hangs attached to three strings as shown in the figure (see image below). Find the tension in each string. Hint: Consider the equilibrium of the point where the strings join.

Homework Equations

W=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Well finding the tension in string 3 (T3) was relatively easy:

w=mg
mass of the block = 5.00 kg
g = 10 ms-2
w = 5.00 x 10 = 50 N

It is the other two (T1 and T2) I'm not sure. In fact I'm at lost with what I learned in class and applying. I noticed the problem states a hint (equilibrium where strings join) but I'm not seeing how this information can be used.

**LINK TO THE PICTURE**: http://postimage.org/image/63m5xydbj/

[PLAIN]http://postimage.org/image/63m5xydbj/[/QUOTE]
First, I'll display the image, although it's of a fairly poor quality.

attachment.php?attachmentid=42362&stc=1&d=1325468334.jpg

Draw a free body diagram for the point at which the three strings meet.

Attachments

• Photo_on_12_01_01_at_8_18_PM.jpg
    Photo_on_12_01_01_at_8_18_PM.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 574
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Sammy. I noticed what I had done wrong, I ignored to look at the vectorial components. After that, the rest unfolded easily. Thanks again :)

1. What does "tension" mean in this context?

In this context, tension refers to the amount of force or pull that is being exerted on each string.

2. How do you calculate the tension in each string?

The tension in each string can be calculated by taking into account the weight of the object or objects being suspended by the string, the angle of the string with respect to the horizontal, and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Why is it important to know the tension in each string?

Knowing the tension in each string is important because it helps determine the stability and strength of the structure being supported by the strings. It also allows for proper distribution of weight and can prevent potential accidents or damage.

4. Can the tension in each string vary?

Yes, the tension in each string can vary depending on the weight and angle of the object being suspended and any external forces acting on the structure. Changes in temperature and material properties can also affect the tension in each string.

5. How can the tension in each string be adjusted?

The tension in each string can be adjusted by changing the weight or angle of the object being suspended, or by adjusting the length or material of the string. Adding or removing support structures can also affect the tension in each string.