Kronecker Delta and Dirac Delta

In summary: Not quite.\int_{All Space} \psi^*_m\psi_n dx = \delta_{mn} where the integration is over the whole space that you're looking at. Nowhere in this does a Dirac delta come into play and it's only valid when you look at the integration over the whole space. Look at a specific, easy example like the simple harmonic oscillator with say, n = 0 and m = 1. The product \psi^*_{m = 1} \psi_{n = 0} will clearly not be 0, but the integration will be.
coki2000
Hello PF,

When I was studying Quantum mechanics, I realized that this equality should be true,

[tex] <{\psi}_{n} \mid {\psi}_{m}>=\int {\psi}_{m}^*{\psi}_{n}dx={\delta }_{mn}[/tex]

So [itex] {\psi}_{m}^*{\psi}_{n}[/itex] must be equal to dirac delta function so that we provide the kronecker delta as a solution of the integral.

Therefore, this equation must be true, mustn't it?

[tex]\int \delta (x-x')dx={\delta }_{mn}[/tex]

Or, if it is wrong, what is the expression [itex]{\psi}_{m}^*{\psi}_{n}[/itex] equal to?

Thanks for your opinions and helps.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
coki2000 said:
So [itex] <{\psi}_{n} \mid {\psi}_{m}>[/itex] must be equal to dirac delta function

No, it's equal to the Kronecker delta. The Dirac delta does not enter in at all here unless you know something about the actual functions [itex]\Psi[/itex]

[itex] \int \delta(x - x')dx = 1[/itex] only if you integrate over x = x' within your integration. That's all you can say about that equation.

Pengwuino said:
No, it's equal to the Kronecker delta. The Dirac delta does not enter in at all here unless you know something about the actual functions [itex]\Psi[/itex]

[itex] \int \delta(x - x')dx = 1[/itex] only if you integrate over x = x' within your integration. That's all you can say about that equation.

Sorry, I mean this [itex]{\psi}_{m}^*{\psi}_{n}[/itex] must be equal to dirac delta. I corrected it now.

coki2000 said:
Sorry, I mean this [itex]{\psi}_{m}^*{\psi}_{n}[/itex] must be equal to dirac delta. I corrected it now.

Not quite.

[itex]\int_{All Space} \psi^*_m\psi_n dx = \delta_{mn}[/itex] where the integration is over the whole space that you're looking at. Nowhere in this does a Dirac delta come into play and it's only valid when you look at the integration over the whole space. Look at a specific, easy example like the simple harmonic oscillator with say, n = 0 and m = 1. The product [itex]\psi^*_{m = 1} \psi_{n = 0}[/itex] will clearly not be 0, but the integration will be.

1. What is the difference between Kronecker Delta and Dirac Delta?

Kronecker Delta, denoted by δij, is a mathematical symbol used to represent a discrete delta function. It takes the value of 1 if i=j, and 0 if i≠j. It is commonly used in linear algebra and calculus to represent the identity matrix.

Dirac Delta, denoted by δ(x), is a continuous function that is often referred to as the "unit impulse function". It is defined as 0 for all values of x except at x=0, where it is infinite. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent a point charge or a point mass.

2. How are Kronecker Delta and Dirac Delta used in mathematics?

Kronecker Delta is used in linear algebra to represent the identity matrix and in calculus to define derivatives and integrals. Dirac Delta is used in solving differential equations, Fourier transforms, and other mathematical operations that involve impulses or delta functions.

3. Can Kronecker Delta and Dirac Delta be used interchangeably?

No, Kronecker Delta and Dirac Delta have different mathematical properties and cannot be used interchangeably. Kronecker Delta is a discrete function while Dirac Delta is a continuous function. They also have different applications in mathematics and science.

4. What is the relationship between Kronecker Delta and the Kronecker Delta symbol?

The Kronecker Delta symbol, represented by the letter δ with a subscript, is used to denote the Kronecker Delta function. They are essentially the same thing and can be used interchangeably.

5. How do Kronecker Delta and Dirac Delta relate to the concept of a delta function?

Kronecker Delta and Dirac Delta are both types of delta functions, which are mathematical functions that are zero everywhere except at a specific point. Kronecker Delta is a discrete delta function, while Dirac Delta is a continuous delta function.