Finding the eigenvalues of a complex matrix

In summary, to find the eigenvalues of a complex matrix, you must calculate the determinant and solve for the values of lambda that satisfy the equation |A - λI| = 0. This method can also be used for real matrices, with the only difference being that eigenvalues for real matrices will always be real numbers. Eigenvalues represent the scaling factor of eigenvectors in a matrix transformation and provide important information about the matrix. A matrix can have multiple eigenvalues, with the number of distinct eigenvalues being equal to its dimension. There are also faster methods and algorithms, such as the power method, QR algorithm, and Jacobi method, that can be used to find eigenvalues of complex matrices.
jezza10181
Hi,

I am aware of the implicit QR algorithm, which utilises the 'Francis QR step' to find the eigenvalues of a real, square matrix.

But, how would one find the eigenvalues of a complex matrix? Would the 'explicit' version of the QR algorithm be used here, using complex arithmetic?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe if you explain what you do know, someone will see how to generalize it.

1. How do I find the eigenvalues of a complex matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a complex matrix, you must first calculate the determinant of the matrix. Then, you must solve for the values of lambda that satisfy the equation |A - λI| = 0, where A is the original matrix and I is the identity matrix. These values of lambda are the eigenvalues of the complex matrix.

2. Can I use the same method to find eigenvalues for real matrices?

Yes, the same method can be used to find the eigenvalues of both complex and real matrices. The only difference is that the eigenvalues for real matrices will always be real numbers, whereas eigenvalues for complex matrices may be complex numbers.

3. What is the significance of eigenvalues in a matrix?

Eigenvalues represent the scaling factor of the corresponding eigenvector in a matrix transformation. They also provide important information about the matrix, such as its determinant, trace, and rank.

4. Can a matrix have more than one eigenvalue?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple eigenvalues. In fact, the number of distinct eigenvalues a matrix has is equal to its dimension.

5. Is there a faster way to find eigenvalues of a complex matrix?

Yes, there are various methods and algorithms that can be used to find eigenvalues of a complex matrix, such as the power method, the QR algorithm, and the Jacobi method. These methods can be more efficient for certain types of matrices.