Correct this improper definition of a limit

In summary: Eddy's definition implies that there is a single natural number, N, such that for all n>N |1/n|< every epsilon greater than zero. Which is not true. For every epsilon you give me, I can find an N such that 1/n is less than that epsilon for all n>N, but if you pick a newer, smaller epsilon, my N has to be larger, and since the natural numbers are unbounded, we can do this forever.
Easy_as_Pi

Homework Statement

Eddy wrote on his midterm exam that the definition of the limit is the
following: The sequence {an} converges to the real number L if there
exists an N ∈ Natural numbers so that for every [itex]\epsilon[/itex] > 0 we have |an − L| < [itex]\epsilon[/itex] for all
n > N. Show Eddy why he is wrong by demonstrating that if this were
the definition of the limit then it would not be true that lim n→∞ 1/n = 0.
(Hint: What does it mean if |a − b| < [itex]\epsilon[/itex] for every [itex]\epsilon[/itex] > 0?)

Homework Equations

|a-b| <ε means that ||a|-|b|| < ε from the reverse triangle inequality

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it has to do with the fact that the actual definition of a limit has "for every ε > 0, there exists an N [itex]\in[/itex] Natural numbers S.T. ..." so, Eddy reversed that part of the definition. I just haven't been able to quite see the difference of the two. A little push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I like figuring these out on my own, so no full on answers, please.

Physics news on Phys.org
So there exists a certain N.

Let [itex]\varepsilon = |1/N|[/tex]

and try to prove that 1/n does not converge to 0 with this definition.

I'm not quite sure I follow. I ended up answering it this way: Eddy's definition implies there is a single natural number, N, such that for all n>N |1/n|< every epsilon greater than zero. Which is not true. For every epsilon you give me, I can find an N such that 1/n is less than that epsilon for all n>N, but if you pick a newer, smaller epsilon, my N has to be larger, and since the natural numbers are unbounded, we can do this forever. But, it's a different N for each new epsilon, not one single N like eddy implied. Does that make sense?

That's right.

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that represents the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value or point. It is used to describe the value that a function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a specified value.

2. Why is it important to have a correct definition of a limit?

A correct definition of a limit is important because it ensures that our understanding and calculations of functions are accurate. A wrong definition can lead to incorrect conclusions and results in mathematical analyses.

3. What is an improper definition of a limit?

An improper definition of a limit is one that does not accurately describe the behavior of a function. This can include incorrect assumptions or misconceptions about the concept of limits.

4. How do you know if a definition of a limit is incorrect?

If a definition of a limit leads to incorrect or contradictory results, it is likely that it is incorrect. Additionally, a definition that does not align with the fundamental principles and properties of limits is also likely to be incorrect.

5. Can an incorrect definition of a limit be fixed?

Yes, an incorrect definition of a limit can be fixed by identifying and addressing the errors or misconceptions in the definition. This may involve revisiting the fundamental principles of limits and ensuring that they are accurately applied in the definition.