Compton effect and Photoelectric effect explained by wave theory?

In summary, it is possible to explain both the photoelectric effect and the Compton effect in classical electromagnetic wave theory, as stated in the fifth edition of 'Physics' by Halliday, Resnick, and Krane. This has been known since 1927 and was explicitly shown for the photoelectric effect by W.E. Lamb and M.O. Scully in 1969. However, the experiment for the Compton effect conducted by J.F. Clauser in 1974 and corrected by P. Grangier, G. Roger, and A. Aspect in 1986 cannot be explained by the wave theory. The generally accepted view is that the modern quantization of the electromagnetic field is necessary to explain the gross features
PrincePhoenix
Gold Member
I have the fifth edition of 'Physics' by Halliday, Resnick and Krane.
In the chapter 'The Nature of Light' it is stated that it is possible to explain both photoelectric effect and Compton effect in classical electromagnetic wave theory and this has been known since 1927. It says that photoelectric effect was explicitly shown to be explainable by wave theory in 1969 by W.E. Lamb and M.O. Scully.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19680009569_1968009569.pdf

It says that the experiment that really cannot be explained by the wave theory was conducted by J.F. Clauser in 1974 and then again corrected and performed by P. Grangier, G. Roger and A.Aspect in 1986.

However when I searched the internet, I didn't get anything for Compton effect and read this
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=372653

on physics forums. Although both the paper and most of the discussion is beyond my level, I can sense most people don't agree with it.

So what is the generally accepted view in this regard?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that what these people (Lamb, Jaynes,...) were trying to point out is that the modern quantization of the electromagnetic field (quantum optics) does not seem to be necessary to explain the gross features of these effects.

Einstein introduced the concept of the light quantum but did not define it very well. After that, quantum theory of particles was developed, in which there is no light quantum - just classical electromagnetic field.

Since the photoelectric effect is an effect stimulated by the _external_ field, there is a hope that it can be described by non-relativistic quantum theory with classical external field. The hope is there because similar thing is possible to do for the excitation of the atom; the time-dependent Hamiltonian containing the external electric field will cause the wave-function to change and the expectation value of its energy will rise.

It is conceivable that the quantized behaviour of the photoelectric effect is due to the quantumness of the particles, while the radiation can be described by the wave theory. I think it is not ruled out that one can invent some kind of Hamiltonian that would give you the resonance behaviour of wave-function for bounded electrons at the right frequency. But I do not know whether Lamb or Jaynes really succeeded.

PrincePhoenix said:
I have the fifth edition of 'Physics' by Halliday, Resnick and Krane.
In the chapter 'The Nature of Light' it is stated that it is possible to explain both photoelectric effect and Compton effect in classical electromagnetic wave theory and this has been known since 1927. It says that photoelectric effect was explicitly shown to be explainable by wave theory in 1969 by W.E. Lamb and M.O. Scully.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19680009569_1968009569.pdf

It says that the experiment that really cannot be explained by the wave theory was conducted by J.F. Clauser in 1974 and then again corrected and performed by P. Grangier, G. Roger and A.Aspect in 1986.

However when I searched the internet, I didn't get anything for Compton effect and read this
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=372653

on physics forums. Although both the paper and most of the discussion is beyond my level, I can sense most people don't agree with it.

So what is the generally accepted view in this regard?

Thanks in advance.

This paper might help you in clarification of this a bit

http://people.whitman.edu/~beckmk/QM/grangier/Thorn_ajp.pdf

Note also that other phenomena, such as photon anti-bunching, have no classical wave explanation.

Zz.

I'm sorry I might have given wrong impression about my education level. I use the HRK for extra knowledge that I find interesting in my high school physics. I am actually only a high school student.

I have couple of questions from Photo Electric Effect, if you could answer 1. why is the direction of photoelectric current opposite to the motion of electrons . 2. if we reduce deltaV to 0 photoelectric current doesn't drop to zero. why?

What is the Compton effect?

The Compton effect, also known as Compton scattering, is a phenomenon in which a photon (a particle of light) collides with an electron, causing the photon to lose energy and change direction. This effect demonstrates the particle-like behavior of light and supports the concept of photons as individual quanta of energy.

What is the Photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when exposed to light. This effect was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and led to the discovery of the photoelectric effect by Albert Einstein in 1905. The photoelectric effect supports the wave-like behavior of light and is an important concept in understanding the nature of light.

How are the Compton effect and the Photoelectric effect explained by wave theory?

According to wave theory, light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that travels in waves. The Compton effect can be explained by the wave-particle duality of light, where light can behave as both a wave and a particle. The Photoelectric effect can also be explained by wave theory, as the frequency of the photons (which corresponds to the color of the light) determines the energy of the electrons emitted.

What is the difference between the Compton effect and the Photoelectric effect?

The main difference between the Compton effect and the Photoelectric effect is the source of the electrons. In the Compton effect, the electrons are already present in the material and are scattered by the incoming photons. In the Photoelectric effect, the electrons are emitted from the material due to the energy of the photons. Additionally, the Compton effect involves a change in the direction of the photons, while the Photoelectric effect does not.

What are the practical applications of the Compton effect and the Photoelectric effect?

The Compton effect has been used in various fields such as X-ray imaging and medical diagnostics. It also played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics. The Photoelectric effect has practical applications in devices such as solar panels, photodiodes, and photomultiplier tubes. It is also the basis for the operation of digital cameras and video cameras.