Mass defines energy which defines mass

In summary: fields would still exist and the force would vary with distance but acceleration would always be proportional to force.
guss
Energy (a joule) is defined as
gif.latex?J%20=%20\frac{kg\cdot%20m^2}{s^2}.gif

So, the definition of energy involves kilograms. However, because of E = mc^2, mass is another way of writing energy, or the same thing as energy.

It seems to me like this should bring up some sort of contradiction. If mass and energy go back and forth defining each other, isn't nothing really defined in the end? Like some sort of endless loop?

Just spilling out thoughts here. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
E=MC^2 does not "define" mass or energy. It simply let's you convert one to the other in the right circumstances.

Drakkith said:
E=MC^2 does not "define" mass or energy. It simply let's you convert one to the other in the right circumstances.
It says 1 kg = 9×1016 kg*m2/s2, or that a kg is proportional to kg*m2/s2. Not sure if that's the same point I made before though, or if this point I'm making is stupid.

What says that?

Nuclear power plants. If I were to take a kilogram of matter, and convert it completely into energy, I would get that amount, would I not?

guss said:
It says 1 kg = 9×1016 kg*m2/s2, or that a kg is proportional to kg*m2/s2.
No, E = mc2 says that a 1 kg mass will have a rest energy of 9×1016 kg*m2/s2 = 9×1016 Joules.

Doc Al said:
No, E = mc2 says that a 1 kg mass will have a rest energy of 9×1016 kg*m2/s2 = 9×1016 Joules.
So 1 kg at rest has 9×1016 kg*m2/s2 -- I'm not sure if that applies to my original question.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule

Energy is also defined as: It is equal to the energy expended (or work done) in applying a force of one Newton through a distance of one metre (1 Newton metre or N·m), or in passing an electric current of one ampere through a resistance of one ohm for one second.

Neither of those involve mass at all.

Also, realize that mass and energy are not the same thing. A block of iron has mass, but it does not necessarily have energy. Using E=MC^2 only gives you the amount of energy you would get IF you could convert all of that mass into energy.

Per the wiki article on energy: In physics, energy (Ancient Greek: ἐνέργεια energeia "activity, operation"[1]) is an indirectly observed quantity. It is often understood as the ability a physical system has to do work on other physical systems.[2][3] Since work is defined as a force acting through a distance (a length of space), energy is always equivalent to the ability to exert pulls or pushes against the basic forces of nature, along a path of a certain length.

That is a definition of energy. E=MC^2 is not.

I think you might be confusing what variables are vs. what units are. Units are systems used to be able to differentiate between different physical phenomena in a convenient fashion, but you can't look at physical relationships by looking at units.

For example, torque and energy have the same units, but that doesn't mean any equivalence can be made between the two simply by looking at the units involved.

Drakkith said:
Neither of those involve mass at all.
It involves force, which is kg*m/s2.

That said, I think I understand now. Thanks everyone.

in a universe where all particles had the same mass
force and acceleration would always be proportional.
the concept of mass would be redundant.

granpa said:
in a universe where all particles had the same mass
force and acceleration would always be proportional.
the concept of mass would be redundant.

No it wouldn't. There is still the big matter of varying distances between particles. In fact, at the classical level, I don't think a single bit of complexity would be done away with if mass was only divisible to a certain, fundamental point.

huh?
fields would still exist and the force would vary with distance but acceleration would always be proportional to force.

1. What is the relationship between mass and energy?

The relationship between mass and energy is described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. This means that mass and energy are interchangeable and can be converted into one another.

2. How does mass define energy?

Mass defines energy because it is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. The more mass an object has, the more energy it contains. This is seen in the equation E=mc^2, where the energy (E) is directly proportional to the mass (m).

3. How does energy define mass?

Energy defines mass because it is a measure of an object's ability to do work or produce change. In other words, an object's energy content is directly related to its mass. This is seen in the equation E=mc^2, where the mass (m) is equal to the energy (E) divided by the speed of light squared (c^2).

4. Can mass and energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of mass-energy, mass and energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of mass and energy in the universe remains constant.

5. What are some examples of the relationship between mass and energy?

One example of the relationship between mass and energy is in nuclear reactions, where a small amount of mass is converted into a large amount of energy. Another example is in particle accelerators, where high-energy particles are created by converting the kinetic energy of particles into mass. In everyday life, the relationship between mass and energy can be seen in the conversion of food into energy for our bodies to use.